OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

What kind of poultry is available there? I am starting to feel like a poultry junkie. I spend all my extra money on birds!

Over the years I have seen some that I knew to be good quality birds, many that I don't have enough knowledge of the particular breed/variety to be a good judge of their quality, and some that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

I absolutely will not wear the same clothes or footwear at a swap/show when I get home without first washing/disinfecting before going anywhere near my birds. A mistake people often make when getting started with chickens is underestimating the risk of bringing something home to their flock from adding new birds with out quarantining them, or on their shoes/clothes. You may get away with it for a while, but it will catch up with you.

I am in Cincinnati and I have 5 chickens. I am looking to get a few chicks to put under my broody hen, but everywhere I look I can't get less than 6. Any suggestions?

It has been many years since I have hatched under a broody, mainly because I vaccinate for Marek's, and a fewer larger hatches works better. But back in the day I had limited success trying to slip extra chicks under a broody. I got the impression the new guys did not understand the language, the chick's the hen had incubated had been hearing her all the way through the process and responded to her calls from the start. The new guys often did not, which depending on the hen, could have disastrous results. Sometimes they might get left out, chill and die, and I have also had hens just outright kill these, what I assume they deem as defective chicks that don't respond properly.

Getting some fertile eggs may be your surer bet.

I obviously haven't got the hang of the quoting sorry still new. Does anyone know how much the ostrich are and are they generally chicks? Thanks for the reply and I will have to read some more about posting!

I've only ever seen chicks. And I did not check the pricing because I could not be trusted to not buy some.

Im looking for a younger speckled sussex cockerel, or jubilee orpington. I cannot believe how much bad luck im getting with these.

Tried to hatch some jubilee orp eggs, one hatched, and then died a few days later. So I bought a year old rooster, had to cull him. Then I bought another set of jubilee orpington eggs, none developed in the slightest. Bought some speckled susses eggs, one hatched, and its a pullet, the opposite of what i wanted of course. Bought a sexed cockerel speckled sussex from meyer hatchery, and it died this morning while i was at work, it was pretty weak when i got it on Wed, but took longer than the 48 hour guarantee of course.

So if anyone has an unwanted/unneeded speckled sussex or jubilee orpington, heck even a russian orloff. I really need one, prefer it to be under a year old. Im located in Lebanon Ohio 45036, prefer not to have to drive more than an hour.

Thanks

Hi everyone ! Well the coop arrived today in 3 boxes
1f601.png
looks like our weekend will be busy but really no hurry we're going on Monday to get the chicks still not sure what breed but we were thinking of Orpington ,Buckeye and Wyandotte . Can we get one of each ?or is that not a good idea ? Should we have the brooder box warmed up already too ? We are both excited and nervous to start this new adventure
1f604.png

I want to pick up a decent pair of splash and/or paint Silkies. In the absence of adult birds, I'd like to get some hatching eggs. If anyone knows of anyone who has some or will be bringing any to the show, please let me know. My breeders are getting older and I'd like to get some new stock.
Not sure if this helps but "blessedchick" might be able to help you with the Silkie search...I don't know her personally but she's in central ohio (north of Delaware) and I know she has lovely Silkies, plus I think she works with our local feedstore with spring chick days and the chicken swaps they've hosted (Champion Feed). I don't know if she has the color/s you're searching for but I imagine she would be a great netwrok for you...good luck!

Not sure if this helps but "blessedchick" might be able to help you with the Silkie search...I don't know her personally but she's in central ohio (north of Delaware) and I know she has lovely Silkies, plus I think she works with our local feedstore with spring chick days and the chicken swaps they've hosted (Champion Feed). I don't know if she has the color/s you're searching for but I imagine she would be a great netwrok for you...good luck!

Thank you. I will definitely shoot her a message. And even if she doesn't have what I am looking for, I'm always looking for like-minded chicken folk in our area.

Hi everyone ! Well the coop arrived today in 3 boxes
1f601.png
looks like our weekend will be busy but really no hurry we're going on Monday to get the chicks still not sure what breed but we were thinking of Orpington ,Buckeye and Wyandotte . Can we get one of each ?or is that not a good idea ? Should we have the brooder box warmed up already too ? We are both excited and nervous to start this new adventure
1f604.png

Hi, are you planning on getting the chicks from Meyer? If so you'll want to order them before driving down. I would see what's available now and then look again Monday morning for the over hatch list (listed under "available now"). While I have heard people talk about extra chicks in tubs when they go to pick their order up, I have only seen a few older chicks, usually sex-links, but I have always picked up early Monday afternoon and perhaps they are set out on Tuesday.

But yes those three breeds should do well together. Our one Buckeye chick last year was a bit of a brooder bully, I think it might have been a rooster (we took it to a swap) but as far as I know that is not typical of the breed, they are supposed to be very friendly. And yes from what I've read you should turn on the lamp the night before to bring it up to temp. We use a Brinsea EcoGlow warmer not a heat lamp though.

Last edited:
Just got my new coop completely set up, birds included, a quad of white crest black bantam polish. Its completely movable, so we are planning on moving it once a week, possibly more if it helps keep the grass alive. The run and coop are separate, and slide together. The coop is on wheels, and the run has handles. The roof of the coop lifts up for access.

Which means the oldest chicks I have, light brahmas, buff brahmas, and a buff laced brahma get to move into the coop i had the polish in temporarily. The buffs and laced are about 14-15 weeks old now and the lights are almost 8 weeks.

Glad it was a nice day out, got a lot accomplished. Just need to move my box of easter eggers, one SFH, GL brahma, and my SS pullet out to the garage, but I am out of bedding so that has to wait. I have white silkes due to hatch in three days, which are from really good quality stock, so I'm hoping to show those along with the polish's offspring, and I have laced brahma eggs due in about 5-6 days, can't remember off the top of my head. So stuff is really happening now, just need to get myself a SS or jubilee cockerel to put over the non laced brahmas, and need to figure out which of the non laced brahma to keep once the get older and more typey.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom