OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hi All! Yes I fell off the planet again. Been busy working overtime. Anyhow my mob of chickens are well. We have the next coop planed out and hope to start it next week. Have to get the cochin chicks in a larger area soon, they are getting HUGE! My black chick has injured it's knee and I have yet to find a way to treat it. She's moving well with it but still I want to see if I can doctor this issue some.

Hello Everyone!!

I am in the process of moving to Germantown, Oh. from Colorado. We have a house under contract right now set to close on the 23 of July. We have a little over 3 acres. I have dreamed of chickens for many years and now I finally get to. So I wanted to say Hi.

Is it a good idea to start in late summer or should I wait till next spring? What are some good breeds to start with? Though I have been a lurker for a few years and posted here and there, I am a total newbie and now that the ability is real to have chickens, I am a bit overwhelmed. Any and all advice on the best way to get started is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!

Hello Everyone!!

I am in the process of moving to Germantown, Oh. from Colorado. We have a house under contract right now set to close on the 23 of July. We have a little over 3 acres. I have dreamed of chickens for many years and now I finally get to. So I wanted to say Hi. 

Is it a good idea to start in late summer or should I wait till next spring? What are some good breeds to start with?  Though I have been a lurker for a few years and posted here and there, I am a total newbie and now that the ability is real to have chickens, I am a bit overwhelmed. Any and all advice on the best way to get started is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!

I have over 100 chicks & a few turkey poults available right now. I'd be happy to help you get started...lol

Hello Everyone!!

Is it a good idea to start in late summer or should I wait till next spring? What are some good breeds to start with? Though I have been a lurker for a few years and posted here and there, I am a total newbie and now that the ability is real to have chickens, I am a bit overwhelmed. Any and all advice on the best way to get started is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!

Well, I guess first off, what do you have in the way of a coop at the new place ?

I don't have a coop yet. I am starting from scratch. We close on the house on around July 23rd. Open to best options and ideas.

I would first decide how many chickens you want, and what size, then you can figure out what size coop and run you will need.

X2 then start building this fall. It's very stressful to build a coop when you've got chicks in the brooder. As for breeds it really depends on what you are looking for. I would avoid flighty breeds with big combs (Mediteranian breeds). I love our Orpington and Brahma for their snuggliness. Our Dorking and Welsummer are beautiful, friendly and thrifty. Easter Eggers are good layers of colorful eggs and have small pea combs. Buckeyes are great for the state climate. People love their Australorps, we will be getting on this fall. I would also really like to try Sussex, have heard great things about their laying and friendliness.

I would first decide how many chickens you want, and what size, then you can figure out what size coop and run you will need.

X2 then start building this fall. It's very stressful to build a coop when you've got chicks in the brooder. As for breeds it really depends on what you are looking for. I would avoid flighty breeds with big combs (Mediteranian breeds). I love our Orpington and Brahma for their snuggliness. Our Dorking and Welsummer are beautiful, friendly and thrifty. Easter Eggers are good layers of colorful eggs and have small pea combs. Buckeyes are great for the state climate. People love their Australorps, we will be getting on this fall. I would also really like to try Sussex, have heard great things about their laying and friendliness.

And every flock must have at least 1 silkie just so you have a sofy fluffy forever chick fuzzy bird to cuddle.

I have 3 white silkies ( what I believe are roos could be hens not 100%) I need to rehome. They were born 5-8-15 and all 3 get along great being they have been together from hatch. I am in NE ohio next to Sharon, PA. If anyone would be interested in them please message me and let me know. Thanks
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom