OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

It has been a long time since I posted but my first flock is doing quite well. My 6 girls are giving us 4-6 eggs a day. Unfortunately they are being overbred by our rooster so sewing some chicken saddles may be on the agenda soon, along with another collar for him. We took his off about a month ago since his neck was looking ragged. I think he is healed enough to put it back on. We don't want the neighbors to start hating the chickens.

Happily, I can say that my husband has adopted the chicks and takes care of them when he gets home first. He enjoys giving them our table scraps and talking to them. Recently he even asked to get a polish since he loves the way they look. This may not be in the near future but does anyone in NE Ohio breed or have extra polish around? If I remember correctly I may need two or the loner may be picked on for looking weird...

An someone please explain to me what N.P.I.P. is? I'm VERY new to raising chickens and still have a lot to learn.... I'm in Franklin Ohio..

An someone please explain to me what N.P.I.P. is? I'm VERY new to raising chickens and still have a lot to learn.... I'm in Franklin Ohio..
npip is a nationwide program that tests for pollorum/typhoid in birds. Some states test for more diseases than just those two. If you have waterfowl in Ohio they also require AI testing. They come out and prick a vein under the wing and take a drop of blood and test it immediately for pollorum/typhoid. If you have them tested for AI, they will swab their throat on chickens, vent on ducks, and send it out and you will get the results in a week or two. It is not required for all birds but if you plan on showing or shipping eggs or chick's out of state you have to be NPIP to be legal. Lots of people ship without but it is illegal.

Last edited:
Dang I can't wait till the spring...
I'm even thinking about building a brooder and raising some over the winter. I really enjoy just messing with mine....lol hopefully I'm better educated for my 1st full year of raising chickens.

I've got a batch of 6 bantam English orpingtons also to move out that are 10 days old now. 1 black, 3 mauve, 2 chocolate. I don't want to raise then through winter...

please help!

I let my dogs out and they ran over to my coop so I knew something was wrong. After searching with a flashlight I found an opossum sitting on top of the run... I live within the city limits of Cincinnati so I can't shoot it.

Any tips on dealing with these things? I swung at it with a shovel but am afraid of it returning now that it knows where my birds are.

Thanks!

Last edited:
please help!

I let my dogs out and they ran over to my coop so I knew something was wrong. After searching with a flashlight I found an opossum sitting on top of the run... I live within the city limits of Cincinnati so I can't shoot it.

Any tips on dealing with these things? I swung at it with a shovel but am afraid of it returning now that it knows where my birds are.

Thanks!
get a live trap and put wet or dry cat food in it. Take it outside city limits and then dispose of it

Back
Top Bottom