OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

#3 from my incubator. Then I go out to Festers coop to find my first Cochin has gone broody. Can you say chick explosion? Insert maniac laugh!

Swedish Flower Hens & Blue Splash Marans are hatching. Let me know if you are interested.
Shouldn't have any problem selling them.

#3 from my incubator. Then I go out to Festers coop to find my first Cochin has gone broody. Can you say chick explosion? Insert maniac laugh!
Congratulations! I'm still waiting for my first broody of the year.

New chicken
Farmers from. Belmont county - Shadyside 16 week old babies in the garage brooder now!
What breed(s) did you get?

I just want to give a shout-out to everyone at Backyard Chickens. Somewhere on the site, I read about different ways to keep the water from freezing. During the winter we have the big plugged in water warmer set up but I had already put all that stuff away and didn't want to get it out again. I remembered that someone had written about using a light bulb or candle inside a cement block, and we had several of the half blocks available. So I got some cheap votive candles that said they burn for 8 to 12 hrs, put the cement block in the coop run (sand), made a little trench under the bock for air, put the candle inside the block hole on the sand (obviously the hole is upright), then I put small pieces of lath on the top of the block so there could be a place for air to exit, and put the metal water holder on top of that. It worked a charm, a simple way to let them have unfrozen water when they get up. They get up an hour or so before I get out there to open the run, and I didn't want to worry that they would not have water. During the day, it's not problem as the semi-free range fenced in area has a pond. So thanks to whoever wrote up their water solutions, it has been a quick and easy solution for those temporary freezing nights!

They are loud, and you need a lot more space inside and out. But they are just as friendly and tame, will go for walks, eat out of your hand, etc. The smell isn't nearly as bad, and they don't kill the grass in the runs, which makes it look much nicer and keeps the birds cleaner.

By Utica Ohio. South of Mansfield, North of Lancaster.
Starting much smaller than originally wanted. But at least it's a start. Lol. EE, BO, BA and 2 surprises, of course with my math I'll be coming home withis amt to finish off the dozen (haha)

Back
Top Bottom