OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hello all. I'm from cincinnati but lived in ny past 8 years. Well i got into chickens when in ny and now i'm trying to figure out what all i can raise here. I'm located in green township/hamilton county. Is the backyard chickens correct when I can't have any roo's? If so I need to sell my incubator unless i hatch for other people.

Hello all. I'm from cincinnati but lived in ny past 8 years. Well i got into chickens when in ny and now i'm trying to figure out what all i can raise here. I'm located in green township/hamilton county. Is the backyard chickens correct when I can't have any roo's? If so I need to sell my incubator unless i hatch for other people. 

Check your local city or township website for info or start making phone calls. Can also try the humane society in your area for info. Most towns do not allow roosters but a certain amount of hens. There are a few towns that allow both but far and few between these days, most are small burgs that are township ruled or just county.

My chickens are molting, but it hasn't seemed to slow down egg production, and my broody has finally gotten over her mothering instinct and is back with the flock and laying again. Now all I have to do is fill their compost area with more grass clippings so they can "play" and give the coop a quick cleaning. I'll save the big cleaning for later in the fall so I can get it set up for winter. I am so thankful that I found out about using PDZ on a poop board from reading here on BYC! It is such a chore saver!

Thank you all for your posts. We downsized to an apt after selling our large house (we are empty nesters all around now). Seems our girls are what we miss the most!

Looking for a new, but smaller, house and finding restrictions a bit disappointing. The suburb of Montgomery (outside of Cincinnati and our old house) allows chickens but not Miami Township where we found a perfect lot.

Living vicariously through you guys for awhile. Keep up the good posts!

My chickens are molting, but it hasn't seemed to slow down egg production, and my broody has finally gotten over her mothering instinct and is back with the flock and laying again.  Now all I have to do is fill their compost area with more grass clippings so they can "play" and give the coop a quick cleaning. I'll save the big cleaning for later in the fall so I can get it set up for winter.  I am so thankful that I found out about using PDZ on  a poop board from reading here on BYC!  It is such a chore saver!

Toni I agree about the PDZ on poop boards. I have been using it for 4 years now. I have 12 coops & it only takes a few minutes a day to "scoop the poop". Keeps my coops so much cleaner!

My chickens are molting, but it hasn't seemed to slow down egg production, and my broody has finally gotten over her mothering instinct and is back with the flock and laying again.  Now all I have to do is fill their compost area with more grass clippings so they can "play" and give the coop a quick cleaning. I'll save the big cleaning for later in the fall so I can get it set up for winter.  I am so thankful that I found out about using PDZ on  a poop board from reading here on BYC!  It is such a chore saver!

Toni I agree about the PDZ on poop boards. I have been using it for 4 years now. I have 12 coops & it only takes a few minutes a day to "scoop the poop". Keeps my coops so much cleaner!

12?? Wow! How many birds total?

No poop board, I deep litter but use PDZ in quail pens and in grow out pen. Chick feed stinks worse off once digested.

Was just curious for ya'll:) our pullets are getting older now and in a short time, we will be laying every day!
How ever, my question is: do I need to register with ODA, FDA, or any other agency since I will be selling the eggs to outside the family? I'm not sure about selling at market, but I don't want to scratch that option out completely.
As of right now, I will NOT register organic. I understand the appropriate labeling for eggs and other foods (I have had stand at farm markets for years, selling my canned goods), just not sure about eggs yet. I've read articles, but no straight forward answers.
I only have 20 chickens but 19 layers, I've read 500+ laws nothing less.

mamatink7...see below

Current law states that farmers who wish to sell eggs produced on their farm are exempt from retail food licensing requirements, so long as those eggs are sold directly on the farm where they are produced or at a registered farm product auction, and the producer maintains 500 or fewer birds annually. Farmers only need to have a free inspection done by ODA to legally sell their own eggs in this situation. The same exemption does not exist, however, for those selling their own eggs at a registered farmers’ market. In order to legally sell their own eggs at a farmers’ market, a producer must obtain a temporary or mobile retail food establishment license from their local health district, in addition to having the free ODA inspection performed. Handling and storage requirements and the costs for these licenses vary widely, but often are prohibitive to a farmer looking to direct market their products.

Back
Top Bottom