OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hey Guys and Gals, need some help here. I've got a Roo and 2 hens (just now 6 months old and starting to lay eggs) that I need to give away. One of my neighbors decided to call the county zoning authority and report us for having chickens. Little did I know that chickens aren't allowed on a 1 acre lot in an agriculture zone, should have checked first I know :/  We live in Hamilton Ohio here in Butler county and according the law you need at least 2 acres and 200 feet frontage for livestock (yes they consider chickens livestock). Anyway, my daughter is devastated and we need to find a good home for her babies. Let me know if anyone out there would like to adopt them. Thanks!

That is just awful! Can you fight it?

So I have two egg laying related questions.
1) My Bossy RIR has been a champion layer the year I've had her. She's about 3+ now and has suddenly stopped laying. I know they slow with age but she went from an egg a day to no eggs in about 2 weeks. She hasn't layed in 17 days now. She acting normal and I don't see signs of molting. Could she really just stop that quick?
2) My lovely little blond who is new to laying is laying small eggs. She is mixed breed but SF. I guess I thought the eggs would be bigger.?.

Hey Guys and Gals, need some help here. I've got a Roo and 2 hens (just now 6 months old and starting to lay eggs) that I need to give away. One of my neighbors decided to call the county zoning authority and report us for having chickens. Little did I know that chickens aren't allowed on a 1 acre lot in an agriculture zone, should have checked first I know :/  We live in Hamilton Ohio here in Butler county and according the law you need at least 2 acres and 200 feet frontage for livestock (yes they consider chickens livestock). Anyway, my daughter is devastated and we need to find a good home for her babies. Let me know if anyone out there would like to adopt them. Thanks!
whatbreed are they? Ours are 17wks old now. Perhaps the pullets I could, I'd have to check this weekend. We are in Licking Cty.

1) My Bossy RIR has been a champion layer the year I've had her. She's about 3+ now and has suddenly stopped laying. I know they slow with age but she went from an egg a day to no eggs in about 2 weeks. She hasn't layed in 17 days now. She acting normal and I don't see signs of molting. Could she really just stop that quick?
2) My lovely little blond who is new to laying is laying small eggs. She is mixed breed but SF. I guess I thought the eggs would be bigger.?.
have you checked her vent or bottom of foot yet? This will show if she's totally done with laying or just a break. Is she acting different in any way?

@FlyingNunFarm on your young girl it is normal for the eggs to be small at first and they will get bigger as she ages.

x2!

have you checked her vent or bottom of foot yet? This will show if she's totally done with laying or just a break. Is she acting different in any way?

Can you explain this further? How can you tell by looking at the vent or bottom of her foot?

I don't know the foot method but the vent should be moist and healthy looking if they ar actively laying, if it is dry and looks shriveled then they are not actively laying

x2!

Can you explain this further?  How can you tell by looking at the vent or bottom of her foot?

What am I looking for on her foot?
She seems to be acting normal. Her usual Bossy self. Could my rooster be over breeding her? She doesn't show signs of this outwardly. I only have a few girls of age but he doesn't seem over amorous.

Back
Top Bottom