OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

mamatink7...see below

Current law states that farmers who wish to sell eggs produced on their farm are exempt from retail food licensing requirements, so long as those eggs are sold directly on the farm where they are produced or at a registered farm product auction, and the producer maintains 500 or fewer birds annually. Farmers only need to have a free inspection done by ODA to legally sell their own eggs in this situation. The same exemption does not exist, however, for those selling their own eggs at a registered farmers’ market. In order to legally sell their own eggs at a farmers’ market, a producer must obtain a temporary or mobile retail food establishment license from their local health district, in addition to having the free ODA inspection performed. Handling and storage requirements and the costs for these licenses vary widely, but often are prohibitive to a farmer looking to direct market their products.
thank you so much! So basically, as long as keep under 500 (will never get even close to that) and not sell at farmer markets; I am good. Do I have to add a ton on the labels? Other than basics of course. Name/address/phone/size

12?? Wow! How many birds total?

No poop board, I deep litter but use PDZ in quail pens and in grow out pen. Chick feed stinks worse off once digested.

cabin I would have to count!
I have a huge layer pen with 40 layers. They pay for my feed & supplies.
I have 2 breeding pens if Swedish Flower hens.
I have 1 pen with Silverudd's Blues (isbars)
2 grow out pens.
Getting ready to set up a pen of Silver Ameraucanas.
Small breeding pens 4x7 with runs 4 X 15

I sell at a small market getting $4 per dozen. I had to call OUSDA they came out checked my storage refrig & I had to have my water tested by the county.
I have to label my eggs with
Name
Address
Phone #
Non graded

I am so thankful that I found out about using PDZ on a poop board from reading here on BYC! It is such a chore saver!

WHAT is PDZ on a poop board? Pictures!?

12?? Wow! How many birds total?

No poop board, I deep litter but use PDZ in quail pens and in grow out pen. Chick feed stinks worse off once digested.

cabin I would have to count!
I have a huge layer pen with 40 layers. They pay for my feed & supplies.
I have 2 breeding pens if Swedish Flower hens.
I have 1 pen with Silverudd's Blues (isbars)
2 grow out pens.
Getting ready to set up a pen of Silver Ameraucanas.
Small breeding pens 4x7 with runs 4 X 15

Wow! Pics please of your set up! I have 49, including coturnix quail. 2 coops and runs. My big coop (10'×16')has two pens inside plus a 3 tier brooder/quail pen. My small coop 8'x12' is all open and the flock goes where they wish.

Last edited:
I sell at a small market getting $4 per dozen. I had to call OUSDA they came out checked my storage refrig & I had to have my water tested by the county.
I have to label my eggs with
Name
Address
Phone #
Non graded

Just curious what the food sellers permit costs up in Miami county ?

A few years back a local farmers market was trying to start up here in Warren county. Having ample eggs I thought I would head on down for the opening morning. I washed the eggs, packed the cartons in a cooler with some ice packs over them. There where only a couple of us set up. Did not take too long and a woman came up with a clipboard. She was from some government agency, checked the temp. the eggs were being stored at, and asked to see my permit. I was not aware a permit was required. She explained the permit that was needed, which basically sounded like something more applied to the food trailers at the county fair or festivals. She asked me if I had sold any eggs, and I believe I would have received a citation if I had, had me pack up and let me go with a warning. I forget what the cost of the permit was now, but it was very pricey and only good for like 10 days if memory serves. So needless to say I don't sell eggs off the place these days.

Wow! Pics please of your set up! I have 49, including coturnix quail. 2 coops and runs. My big coop (10'×16')has two pens inside plus a 3 tier brooder/quail pen. My small coop 8'x12' is all open and the flock goes where they wish.

Thus is my layer pen 40+ chickens 2 Roos is 10 X 12 coop & 15 X 30 run.

Next is my SFH breeding pen 8 X 10 coop & 15 X 15 run. 1 roo & 15 girls. 4 breeding pens 4 X 7 coops with 5 X 15 runs. We made remove able walls out of chicken wire & 2x4.

Last is our grow out pen. Coop is 7 X 10 run is 12 X 30.

We just completed another 5 breeding pens but I don't have pics of them yet.

Back
Top Bottom