OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Blue zip at a few days old and blue zip at 5 weeks. White zip became blue/green, I ran out of white zip ties. It's amazing how much they change!

These are my svart hona. The comb looks much lighter on the cockerel in the front than it actually is. His comb is super dark mulberry and his wattles are a littlw lighter. Excuse the bits of mud on their feathers. This lovely ohio weather we keep having :/

@minihorse927

Yes...love those guys...and girls. Beautiful ebony birds!
Ohio weather is weird.....hahaha....mud and all. Our chicks are still in the garage coop.
I want them in the house, but---can't figure out how to house train them.
big_smile.png

Are the male combs ever just black..or is that only the cemani ?
We started with the svart hona..2 months ago .and are completely hooked. Waiting for ours to mature.
I have ordered 5 chicks for spring also.

Do you have to incubate to hatch? I have read both that they are broody...and that they will NOT sit on their eggs.
Still learning every day about them...and just keeping chickens in general.

@minihorse927

Yes...love those guys...and girls. Beautiful ebony birds!  
 Ohio weather is weird.....hahaha....mud and all.  Our chicks are still in the garage coop.
I want them in the house, but---can't figure out how to house train them.   :D

Are the male combs ever just black..or is that only the cemani ?
We started with the svart hona..2 months ago .and are completely hooked. Waiting for ours to mature.
I have ordered 5 chicks for spring also.

Do you have to incubate to hatch?  I have read both that they are broody...and that they will NOT sit on their eggs.
Still learning every day about them...and just keeping chickens in general.
mine do sit and hatch their own eggs. I've had 3 of the 5 already brood and hatch. The cockerels can be jet black although deep mulberry is accepted in the Swedish standard. In personally breeding for an all black bird. Takes time of course!

If you look at the cockerel in the back and again in the pic with the 2 pullets you will see he is completely black

Back
Top Bottom