OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hey everyone! I'm new to the site and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Clermont County and am currently learning that a dry coop is just as important as a "warm" coop. I have a radiant heater and a warmer on the girls' water dish. Here's a little more about me and my new small flock.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Completely new to chickens...got our chicks in May of 2017. Its our first winter together and we are all learning together.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 7 chickens right now.

(3) What breeds do you have?
The breeds I have are 1 Bantam Hen and 6 Buff Orpington Hens

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Reading articles about brooding.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Camping, hiking, biking, travel in general and gardening.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have a wonderful wife, two great children, and a Newfoundland who loves the chickens.

Attachments

• Hens.jpg
    Hens.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 5
:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here @if_it's_free_it's_ME. You should really post this in the new member forum, but here's good too!

If you haven't yet, please make your poultry a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise.
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it! :D

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here @if_it's_free_it's_ME. You should really post this in the new member forum, but here's good too!

If you haven't yet, please make your poultry a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise.
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it! :D
Thank you. I did post in the new member forum first and then here. Thought I would reach out here too. Thanks for the advise on the First Aid Kit. I am headed there now. I just read about ventilation and it makes sense. Just like camping in a tent...moisture builds without ventilation. Thanks again for the advice.

To be honest, most chickens don't need heat, but my first year I did use a heat lamp and my rooster got a touch of frostbite on his comb. I have not used extra heat since then, but I figure that the heated waterer probably helps keep the inside of the coop a bit more temperate than outside. I also added some vent holes right above where the waterer sits, and have not seen frostbite since. When you peek into the coop in the evening, they are all puffed up on the roost, making full use of their down coats!

To be honest, most chickens don't need heat, but my first year I did use a heat lamp and my rooster got a touch of frostbite on his comb. I have not used extra heat since then, but I figure that the heated waterer probably helps keep the inside of the coop a bit more temperate than outside. I also added some vent holes right above where the waterer sits, and have not seen frostbite since. When you peek into the coop in the evening, they are all puffed up on the roost, making full use of their down coats!

I just went out to check on the girls and 5 are on the roost outside in the run. The other two are inside the coop. I've really been paying attention to their feet and combs since the temps at night have been around single digits here. Thanks for the feedback.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Right now we have no chickens, but plan to get some this spring and want the coop ready.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Searched for DIY ideas for converting horse stall into a chicken coop.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Riding our Harley, traveling, spending most of our time with family, watching movies, FB and Instagram, taking care of our 10 acre property.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We are both teachers, but I'm newly retired. We have 5 children...3 boys and 2 girls. Our only granddaughter is our pride and joy...3 years old. Our property is 1/3 pasture, 3/4 acre pond and 3 houses. 2 of our sons and one daughter in law live in the 2 floor apt. And my in laws live in the 2nd house...the rest of our family lives within an hour or less from us...we're a very close family! We inherited 2 chinese swan geese with the property a year ago and added a pair of goats in July...a brother and sister who are now about 8 months old. They are so loving...they think they're lap dogs!

Ugh! Rainy and wet then to freezing rain and snow...I really hope all this moisture in the air doesn't cause any frostbite. I had a rooster that wouldn't go back in Christmas Eve and he stayed out all night... surprisingly he made it thru but did get tips of his comb frostbit. My yard was saturated today and I knew our temps were dropping so I made the chickens stay in coop today so they would not be wet on roost once it got cold.

Last edited:
I just wanted to let people know, in case it hasn't been mentioned. There's a veterinary office in Middlefield (North East Ohio) that cares for chickens.
It's called Countryside Vet services, the number is 440-632-9181 and it's only $41 (when I called today) for an office visit. http://www.countrysideveterinaryservice.com/

I hope this info can help someone who's in need.

Back
Top Bottom