OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

hi everyone, I am in Circleville and looking for a gentle rooster that is an hour away or less. My pullets are Faverolle and should start laying in the next month. Looking for a Faverolle or maybe Brahma or larger Silky that is people friendly. My middle child had a bad experience last spring with our Cochin rooster attacking him, so we got rid of them and got a different breed. We started with 8 and thanks to a raccoon we are down to 3. We want to incubate our own eggs after the girls start laying. Thanks everyone.
my husband convinced me to wait until spring and get another batch of chicks instead of getting a rooster now when it will be too cold brood chicks in the garage by the time they are laying regularly. :( he's such a spoil sport

my husband convinced me to wait until spring and get another batch of chicks instead of getting a rooster now when it will be too cold brood chicks in the garage by the time they are laying regularly. :( he's such a spoil sport
Get a rooster that is already off heat. Let the older girls put him in his place then get chicks in the spring. I find cockerels raised by mature hens are much better behaved.

Hello fellow Ohioan Chicken Lovers!!! I am from the Southwestern area. I'm looking for a couple of 6-8 week old pullets as I lost 2 last night to I'm guessing a raccoon. :( Now I have one poor little chick that I'm trying to introduce to my older flock. I feel terrible that she has lost her sisters and hate for her to be alone.

Hey fellow Ohioans!

I have had sand in my coop and run all year (and love it)... but as we approach winter, am wondering if sand is the best option for the coop. I love how easy it is to clean and keep clean, also very little (if any) smell. But, is it going to be warm enough over the winter? And if not, should I shovel the sand out then add my bedding? Or can I get away with putting shavings (fairly deep) over top?

Anyone have a recommendation or do something similar? Thanks!

Hey fellow Ohioans!

I have had sand in my coop and run all year (and love it)... but as we approach winter, am wondering if sand is the best option for the coop. I love how easy it is to clean and keep clean, also very little (if any) smell. But, is it going to be warm enough over the winter? And if not, should I shovel the sand out then add my bedding? Or can I get away with putting shavings (fairly deep) over top?

Anyone have a recommendation or do something similar? Thanks!
As long as its dry sand will hold heat very well. Think about going to the beach and sticking your feet in. If your nervous add shavings on top. You can always sift them out come spring.

I used sand in my run, and in winter I would put a flake of straw in. The chooks had a ball tearing it apart and spread it all over the sand, they didn’t have to. Walk on cold damp sand. It was easy to rake out in spring. I used chips in the coop, and stall sweet under the roosts. Easy to clean, no odor. I also put a flake of straw in the coop for them to tear up and hunker down in when it was freezing cold. I only had to. Lean the coop once a year in spring.

I used sand in my run, and in winter I would put a flake of straw in. The chooks had a ball tearing it apart and spread it all over the sand, they didn’t have to. Walk on cold damp sand. It was easy to rake out in spring. I used chips in the coop, and stall sweet under the roosts. Easy to clean, no odor. I also put a flake of straw in the coop for them to tear up and hunker down in when it was freezing cold. I only had to. Lean the coop once a year in spring.
Ah, that's great to hear. I kept thinking it would be easiest to put additional bedding on top of the sand and clean it out in the spring. I wasn't sure if it would impact the sand for the following year or not, but I suppose as long as there's enough bedding on top of the sand, it will stay "protected" and dry. I do plan on putting something up around the run to block out wind and rain/snow, so I'm hoping my run will stay dry all winter.

I know everyone says chickens are resilient. :) But I wanna do my part too.

I used corrugated plastic patio roof panels, cheapest ones were clear. I could install them myself. I held them in place with long strips of 1x2’s across near the top and bottom of the panels, screwed into the run frame. Blocked wind, rain, and snow , but let in the sunshine. The panels left about 1 foot uncovered around the top, so plenty of ventilation and the roof overhang protected it. 0ACB7EB5-4CEC-46DF-AEA9-876F266A7445.jpeg

I used corrugated plastic patio roof panels, cheapest ones were clear. I could install them myself. I held them in place with long strips of 1x2’s across near the top and bottom of the panels, screwed into the run frame. Blocked wind, rain, and snow , but let in the sunshine. The panels left about 1 foot uncovered around the top, so plenty of ventilation and the roof overhang protected it.View attachment 2337760
That's exactly what I have been thinking about doing. Need to start pricing that out and see where I can get them the cheapest. I definitely want to let light in, so clear is great. Thanks for sharing the photo, too!

Back
Top Bottom