OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hi everybody! Im in Columbus, Ohio and getting my first trio this Sunday. Im excited and headed out to the yard to start building my coop. I hope the neighbors won't mind one rooster. Hopefully I can promise them some hush eggs. :)

Hey everyone - I live just south of Columbus and have 17 Chickens.

I bought 6 around March 3rd, and me and the wife liked them so much we bought another 11 around April 20th. We have...

1 RiR Rooster
1 Rir Hen
2 New Hampshire Red Hens
2 White Rock Hens
7 Cochin Hens
3 Americauna (supposedly) Hens

Got my First Egg on July 4th (how American of her!) and have been getting 6 or 7 per day this week, but I don't think any of the Cochins have laid yet.

Im looking for a pretty Polish Hen (promised the wife), a real Americauna Rooster (want to replace the rir rooster, hes an *** and not big enough to breed for meat).

Trying to figure out if I want to breed Buckeyes, Marans, RiR, or new hampshire for meat, seems like they could all work, I dont want cornish X's...

Thats my 'Hi"

I bought 6 around March 3rd, and me and the wife liked them so much we bought another 11 around April 20th. We have...

1 RiR Rooster
1 Rir Hen
2 New Hampshire Red Hens
2 White Rock Hens
7 Cochin Hens

Got my First Egg on July 4th (how American of her!) and have been getting 6 or 7 per day this week, but I don't think any of the Cochins have laid yet.

Im looking for a pretty Polish Hen (promised the wife), a real Americauna Rooster (want to replace the rir rooster, hes an *** and not big enough to breed for meat).

Trying to figure out if I want to breed Buckeyes, Marans, RiR, or new hampshire for meat, seems like they could all work, I dont want cornish X's...

Thats my 'Hi"

Welcome pgrommesh

FYI, we just butchered some RIR roosters and was not impressed with the carcass. We raised some Black Star Sex Link Roosters earlier this year and although it had the razor breast it had huge legs and thighs were as the RIR was smaller.

We have New Hampshire hens and they don't get real big. They put on some extra meat after their first molt.

Obviously nothing compares to the carcass of the CX. I'm thinking of trying the Freedom Ranger for next Spring.

Good Luck

1 RiR Rooster
1 Rir Hen
2 New Hampshire Red Hens
2 White Rock Hens
7 Cochin Hens

Thats my 'Hi"
I'm headed thru Columbus Wed this week & have a TON of chicks & started birds for sale. PM me if interested. I even have a LF black/lav split PURE Ameraucana roo for sale. He's young but growing fast & pretty tame being that my kids cart my birds around like doll babies...LOL

1 RiR Rooster
1 Rir Hen
2 New Hampshire Red Hens
2 White Rock Hens
7 Cochin Hens

Thats my 'Hi"

You won't go wrong with the Buckeyes... I am very impressed with the ones we ended up butchering. Good weights for heritage birds I think. Message me or just ask if you would like more information!

www.OhioPorkandPoultry.com

Tamworth Swine are a heritage breed of hog. Heritage breed meaning that it is one of the older breeds that lost favor in the 50's when the factory farms started taking over.

Tamworths are very lean, known for bacon, but more importantly to the sustainable farmer, can and do forage on their own, farrow easily, and thrive outdoors.

In my experience, they are friendly, inquisitive, train to 2 strand electric fence very well.

A very enjoyable pig to be around.

Back
Top Bottom