Oil Gland

ekop31100

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 8, 2014
I have a kahki campbell who I noticed recently has been losing some of her feathers, and whenver I put her in her water, she seems to get very wet. I called one of my friends who owns a bird sanctuary, and she said that her oil gland is probably clogged and needs to be cleaned. Any advice on how I would go about cleaning her oil gland? And how to properly locate it?

I have a kahki campbell who I noticed recently has been losing some of her feathers, and whenver I put her in her water, she seems to get very wet. I called one of my friends who owns a bird sanctuary, and she said that her oil gland is probably clogged and needs to be cleaned. Any advice on how I would go about cleaning her oil gland? And how to properly locate it?
Go to this link and it will explain about wet feather and blocked oil glands. the oil gland is located at the end of the back where the tail begins on the top of the ducks body. sometimes they get clogged but at this time of year right before molt they can get wet feather too and once they molt the new feathers once again look great. http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue71.htm

Thank you! Is the oil gland by the same hole that they lay eggs out of? I am still having trouble locating it.

Thank you! Is the oil gland by the same hole that they lay eggs out of? I am still having trouble locating it.
No the oil gland is on the top part of the body down where the body and the tail meet. pull the feather apart and you'll see a round raised area and sometimes it will be yellow. That's the wax

oilglandlocation.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom