Oil radiator heater

Pics
Can’t do much about the cord being plugged into an exposed outlet
20181029_094308.jpg . I got this at Ace hardware. GC

Yeah... I could install a GFCI and replace the whole outlet, it’s a flush mount with the little sealing things that cover each outlet screwed to the exterior of the building... However the whole building that the outlet is on is slated for a complete re-wiring once my house is built and I move my mom and cats out of it. Please note I didn’t know how bad the wiring was when they started staying in it! And it’s even going to get its very own breaker panel in the actual building... half of it is in another outbuilding, and half of it is in the farm house.

1930’s house, electricity was added in the late 60’s. I haven’t looked into the farmhouse for fear of aluminum wiring hooked into copper, and knob and tube (which was totally safe on its own and for the consumption at the time it was installed!) and who knows what else is going on behind those probably asbestos ridden walls! We actually had the old knob and tube in our city house (50’s) all disconnected, but still in place. The quality of the workmanship and precision it was installed with is incredible.

@GC-Raptor, it looks like that is just an add on that fits on the box right? I’ll look for something like that on my next town trip... I might be making an unscheduled one soon with all the recommendations I’ve gotten for my chicken tractor, and this little wiring project.

I feel like maybe I should’ve married an electrician, not a butcher with a family farm... but then I wouldn’t be needing the electrician, or have all these animals and land to work with!

General moral of the story: Do all electrical right to begin with, extension cords are bad, chickens don’t really need a lot of heat.

Yeah... I could install a GFCI and replace the whole outlet, it’s a flush mount with the little sealing things that cover each outlet screwed to the exterior of the building... However the whole building that the outlet is on is slated for a complete re-wiring once my house is built and I move my mom and cats out of it. Please note I didn’t know how bad the wiring was when they started staying in it! And it’s even going to get its very own breaker panel in the actual building... half of it is in another outbuilding, and half of it is in the farm house.

1930’s house, electricity was added in the late 60’s. I haven’t looked into the farmhouse for fear of aluminum wiring hooked into copper, and knob and tube (which was totally safe on its own and for the consumption at the time it was installed!) and who knows what else is going on behind those probably asbestos ridden walls! We actually had the old knob and tube in our city house (50’s) all disconnected, but still in place. The quality of the workmanship and precision it was installed with is incredible.

@GC-Raptor, it looks like that is just an add on that fits on the box right? I’ll look for something like that on my next town trip... I might be making an unscheduled one soon with all the recommendations I’ve gotten for my chicken tractor, and this little wiring project.

I feel like maybe I should’ve married an electrician, not a butcher with a family farm... but then I wouldn’t be needing the electrician, or have all these animals and land to work with!

General moral of the story: Do all electrical right to begin with, extension cords are bad, chickens don’t really need a lot of heat.

I hear you on the electrical. I had a house that was built in 1890 and had knob & tube throughout except for the kitchen. I put several thousands of dollars into that house bringing the wiring into the 21st century. Never got all of it. My old oil filled heater overloaded the wiring, however I was fortunate that the knob & tube on that circuit broke instead of burning. The electrician I hired to fix the wiring said I had been very lucky. I sold that house and got into this little cottage. It needs cosmetic upgrades but I have decent electrical - GFCI outlet outside and a transfer switch for the generator. Best of luck and Merry Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom