Ok, about a month ago I thought a chicken got hurt and was limping...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missnu01, Jan 5, 2013.

1. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Well, apparently, the number of different strains is at least in the teens now, and the more they mess w/ it? The more there's likely to be ... but, still, there's hope for the future, in that Cornell has allegedly found a strain that can be used as a vaccine that produces no tumors. Wanna pool our resources, 'n buy the license? I've got the first ... sixty seven bucks, and a bunch of change ~'-)

Project Title Proven Mutant Strain for Marek's Disease Vaccine
    Track Code 5618
    Short Description
    Cornell researchers discovered that a mutated strain of Marek’s disease virus (MDV) can be used as an effective vaccine against MDV in poultry.
    Abstract
    Cornell researchers discovered that a mutated strain of Marek’s disease virus (MDV) can be used as an effective vaccine against MDV in poultry.
    • The mutation disrupts the stability of telomeres by targeting the template region.
    • Vaccination with the mutated strain provided complete protection from MDV, with no disease or tumor development in chickens that were challenged.
    • Vaccination offered 93% protection for animals very susceptible to MDV.
    • Vaccination with the mutated strain was demonstrated to protect against MDV but does not induce MDV or tumors.
    Potential Commercial Application:
    • Vaccine for Marek's Disease for poultry.

Tags life science, veterinary, Animal vaccines

Posted Date Aug 6, 2012 4:29 PM
    Researcher
    Name
    Nikolaus Osterrieder
    Keith Jarosinski
    Benedikt Kaufer
    Sascha Trapp

Additional Information
    None

Licensing Contact
    Phillip Owh, Senior Technology Commercialization and Liaison Officer
    [email protected]
    607-254-4508

Files
    File Name Description
    Technology brief Tech brief Download

1 person likes this.
  2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Thank you guys. This morning everything is going well...Chicken that used to be limping still is not limping, chicken that started yesterday is limping still, so no change there.

I have been reading more about marek's and while it is highly likely that the chickens have it...none of the chickens are doing poorly. And the issue isn't really paralysis, they move the affected foot and they walk on it. But they walk on it weird with the toes balled up. I was thinking maybe it was growth related, but the 2 largest chicks are not having any issues, it is the middle sized ones. Anyway I'm going to keep a watch on them.

I am just hoping they all make it. In which case I will assume that whatever I had was a light case, or that the chicks were just hurting themselves somehow. There were a couple of boxes and tarps in their area that may have been causing issues for the chicks.

At least now I will have it documented when the limping of the 2nd chick started, and hopefully like the first I can report when the limping stops. And perhaps after these 2 no more will start limping. I've been staring into the chickens eyes anytime I can catch their gaze, and everyone's eyes are looking good. Nothing seems to be off at all...but I'm pretty worried now after all the research.

I'll get some riboflavin supplements as well to add to the water...

But for now I have just been tossing them some cereal and putting a little milk in their water.

3. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Oh, and all of the affected chicks are just barnyard mutts. Hell for all I know they are all mutts. The first 4 we got the rooster and one hen are white and gigantic, there is one that is huge and brown, and then a smaller white hen with a really large sideways single comb. Then we have one silkie that I am pretty sure is a silkie...and then the momma and her chicks that are a motley crew indeed. 1 looks like a seagull with a gray body and white head, one has the seagull pattern but it's body is brown, 2 others are a dark speckled brown, one rooster is white and already larger than his mom, 2 are dominique looking, and one is tiny and it's tail and head are really dark brown almost black while it's body is a dark brown...the mom has really dark brown tail feathers and a light brown body with a red colored head. I am hoping they make it. I've gotten attached to them pretty quickly. I am also very curious to see what they all look like grown up...
    The affected chickens are the light brown body white head (seagull pattern) and a male dominique patterned one.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You might want to weigh each of the limping birds once a week to see if they're gaining weight or losing weight. I have one right now that walks very funny, and even though he's eating and drinking, he's still losing weight. FWI, mine is about 4-6 months old and also a "mutt" chicken.

1 person likes this.
  5. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    You're probably thinkin' your rough flock of '... muttickens ... chutts .. can whip my hatchery specials, but they've already kicked all the guineas out.

The Riboflavin (witamin B2) is *extremely* light sensitive, and doesn't hold up well to bein' cooked either, so I'm thinkin' raw or steamed grains and yogurt perhaps? You can incorporate it progressively into some of their feed, and they'll still tear it up. And, they more you type of it? The more sure I'm becoming that it's the cause ... havin' another on here w/ a diet rich in thiamine, but a chicken 'star gazing' because of all the thiaminase enzymes, and the likelihood that the thiamine isn't biologically available. SoOo ... I've been readin' up a *lot* on this lately ~'-)

:: edit :: witamins are for wabbits :: /edit ::

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Note on soybeans: I'm not sure on the particulars, but raw soybeans are supposed to be very bad for chickens. Properly prepared, though, they're great.
    Just a heads-up in case you're considering feeding some.

7. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Ok...on both chickens, the one that was limping and the one that is still limping I am noticing a common issue, be it an injury, or a malformation...You know how chickens with 4 toes have 3 big in front and then one small in the back right? Well these 2 on the affected feet that little toe that is supposed to be in the back is just on the side of the foot like a tiny 4th toe with no support in the back. Perhaps it doesn't mess up their balance until they reach a certain age, or they are hurting that small toe...but same shape of foot but different chickens and different feet. I'll see if I can get some pics, Can't see it too well on the chick that is still limping, because it won't splay the toes, but on the one that has stopped limping you can see it because he is walking with his limpy foot like normal now.

8. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Ok...mY phone is dead, so I will draw what I am seeing crudely. Lol...[​IMG]

Anyway the small little toe that looks like it adds all the support for the foot is not in the right place on either chicken. It is on the side of the foot and not the back, on only one foot though...I never looked at their feet so closely before, but I don't see any reason that it would be a malformation because it seems like that would have made them walk funny to begin with...so they have to be twisting their feet on something in the coop. Could a chicken do something like that coming off of a roost?

9. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    What would be great is if I could get them chickens to walk through ink and then on paper. That would show it well I think.

10. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Nope, but just giving a little background. I am new to chickens so have no idea which chicken is better or more resilient. I plan on getting some hatchery chicks this spring so I can get my numbers up enough to let hens set eggs and keep everything moving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by