Ok, about a month ago I thought a chicken got hurt and was limping...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missnu01, Jan 5, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    It looks like they are breaking that back toe and then limping around til it stops hurting and then being somewhat unsteady on the one foot thereafter because their support toe is now on the side.

2. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Now, that'd be a t-shirt worth buyin' ~'-)

Ok ... I'm still stickin' to my Deficiency of B2 theory.

See this page, even though they symptoms are much more severe.

1. VITAMIN B2 DEFICIENCY - Diseases of Poultry

www.thepoultrysite.com/.../6/diseases...poultry/.../vitamin-b2-deficie...
      The hypovitaminosis B2 (riboflavin deficiency) is characterized with impaired ... In the beginning, the toes are slightly flexed and chickens tend to stand on their ...

2. Vitamin deficiencies - in the College of Agriculture - University of ...

www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Nutrient_deficiencies.html
      Jun 1, 2012 – Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) ... Symptoms of a vitamin A deficiency include: ... A vitamin D deficiency in poultry results for an inadquate level of vitamin D3 in the diet. ... Curled toes; Poor growth; Weak and emaciation in young birds ...

3. [PDF] ​
      Vitamin Deficiency-Induced Neurological Diseases of Poultry

www.pjbs.org/ijps/fin714.pdf
      File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
      by S Burgos - 2006 - Related articles
      Key words: Vitamin, deficiencies, neurological diseases, poultry .... curled-toe paralysis (Jylling, 1971). ... exhibit vitamin C deficiency-induced neurological ...

4. Vitamin Deficiencies in Poultry: Nutrition and Management: Poultry ...

www.merckmanuals.com/.../poultry/...poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_i...
      Vitamin deficiencies are most commonly due to inadvertent omission of a ..... In a pantothenic acid deficiency, dermatitis of the feet is usually noted first on the toes; .... DACPV; Mahmoud El-Begearmi, PhD; Steven Leeson, PhD; Kirk C. Klasing, ...

5. Practical poultry raising::8. Feed and nutrition::Nutritional deficiencies

www.greenstone.org/.../nzdl;jsessionid...c...c...
      Riboflavin - Vitamin B2 deficiency causes poor growth, low hatchability, curled toes (although some chicks have curled toes at hatching, which is probably a ...
    6. Poultry Diseases 6e - Page 37 - Google Books Result

books.google.com/books?isbn=0702028622
      Mark Pattison - 2008 - Medical
      Death, during the last few days and at hatching, may be related to deficiencies of the following: • Vitamin B2 (clubbed down, curled toe, micromelia, degeneration ...

7. [PDF] ​
      Vitamin Deficiencies

faculty.fortlewis.edu/LASHELL_B/vitamin%20deficiencies.pdf
      File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
      Vitamin A. ♌Conversion rates vary with specie. • Rats/Poultry: 1 mg beta carotene = 1667 IU. • Cattle .... B2 Deficiency Symptoms. ♌Curled toe paralysis in chicks ...

8. Vitamin Deficiencies: An Overview - ISPUB

www.ispub.com/.../the.../vitamin-deficiencies-an-overview.html
      There are 13 known vitamins (vitamins A, B1, B2, niacin, pantothenic acid, B6, folic acid, B12, ... Deficiencies in one or more of the vitamins lead to so-called "vitamin ... pain, tingling, or loss of sensation in hands and feet (peripheral neuropathy), ... (NADP) and found in dairy products, poultry, fish, lean meats, nuts, and eggs.

9. Pahang Pharmacy Sdn. Bhd : Nutrition and Vitamins Deficiency

www.pahangpharmacy.com/Nutrition...Vitamins-Deficiency/q?pid...
      Products Specific Disease Group Poultry Disease ... deficiency. Skin sores (crusty lesions) on the toes, foot pad and beak and feather loss in young birds. ... Most grains are deficient in vitamin B2, therefore it must be included in the premix. All ...

10. Poultry Articles

www.poulvet.com/poultry/articles/vitamins_in_poultry.php
      Water Soluble Vitamins in Poultry. ... Under the vitamin B complex the vitamins recognized are Thiamin (Bl), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine (B6), Biotin, ... The characteristic sign of riboflavin deficiency in chick is Curled toe paralysis.

1 person likes this.
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There is a very real chance your birds may be injuring themselves coming off high roosts.

It's one reason I use DEEP litter and have "ladder" style roost bars so the chickens can hop to the lower rungs to get down.

It's a thought, anyway.

4. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I agree, even if it does turn out to be marek's in the end, it doesn't mean they won't recover and thrive as well as they can. Don't trouble trouble....If another bird shows symptoms, why don't you take a corn patch, moleskin, and put it on the bottom of the foot? It will open up the toes and give support to the foot if it is a stress injury from jumping off of the roost. If it's Marek's, in the end,believe me, you'll know. From the sounds of it, it's too late to do anything about that now anyways. Ride it out and pray for the best, it's probably nothing. Something i have used for my own birds, it's called Bird Powder and you can order it from Jeffers. Not expensive and it has all the nutrients needed for the birds to thrive as well as the probiotics. It's a can't miss product.

1 person likes this.
  5. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Kaeco Bird Powder from Jeffers is a good value, and an excellent source of the microorganisms, and contains many of the vitamins birds are too often deficient of when raised on commercially available feeds -- typically, many of the vitamins the labels claim are not biologically available to the bird at the time of consumption, or they simply fail to include what they promise to deliver (all to common nowadays w/ Ralston and DuMor feeds, for example).

For All Birds
    Contains 10 billion colony forming units of live (viable) naturally occurring microorganisms including L. acidophilus, L. casei, L. fermentum and L. plantarum. Also Streptococcus faecium and active yeast saccharomyces cerevisiac. Recommended as part of the management program for birds subjected to changing environmental or nutritional conditions or after antibiotic therapy or deworming.
    Made with dried whey, dried egg product and dried honey. A full compliment of vitamins A, D, E, B12, niacin, folic acid and calcium. May top dress over moist food.
    Weight/Dosage:
    8 gm - 40 gm body weight -- 1/8 Teaspoon
    40 gm - 200 gm body weight -- 1/4 Teaspoon
    200 gm - 500 gm body weight -- 1/2 Teaspoon
    1000 gm + body weight -- 1 Teaspoon

But ... it ain't natural for me to dig shallow. So, I looked into other products, finding this ...

Ameri-Vet's 68 Soluble* costs under eighteen bucks for four pounds of "a vitamin and electrolyte supplement with dried fermentation products, acidifiers and chelated trace minerals for poultry and livestock," and it'd be an excellent alternative to ProBios, too.
    *Manufactured by Ameri-Pac, and formerly known as FeedMate 68 from Anchor and MicroMate from BioCeutic/Boehringer Ingelheim
    >> peck here << to see a pdf version of the product's labeling (including analysis ~'-)

At Kaeco's website, I found somethin' that could be used to specifically treat birds for deficiencies, provided their diets are improved, so as to reduce goitrogenic substances and eliminate thiaminase enzymes. And, it's right there on their website, but under a different label ...

Avi-Con is a dietary supplement containing 13 essential vitamins, and comes in a 50 Gram bottle for only eight bucks.

Each measure contains 100mg Avi-Con, which provides:

• Vitamin A - 200IU
    • Vitamin D3 - 25 IU
    • Vitamin E - 1 IU
    • Thiamine - 100 mcg
    • Riboflavin - 300 mcg
    • Pyridoxine - 100 mcg
    • Vitamin B12 - 1 mcg
    • Biotin - 4 mcg
    • Choline - 4000 mcg
    • Folic Acid - 60 mcg
    • Niacin - 300 mcg
    • Pantothenic Acid - 300 mcg
    • Manadione (K3) - 200 mcg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  6. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Now that is what I am talking about. Super posting. So off I go to look at chicken vitamins. Thanks guys.

7. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    All credit to Haunted55, as she's the one that inspired me to pick up my proverbial shovel ~'-)

8. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    CowCreek....you do very well on your own, lol. I just happen to know this stuff as I use it myself.

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    When toes have that structure because of genetics, the deformity is called 'duck foot.' A photo at the bottom of my website's Podiatry page, I have a photo of a young chicken I hatched with that problem. Toe taping corrected the problem. I don't know that I'd recommend that for an injury, though... Might displace the bones??

10. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    The riboflavin does sound pretty spot on, going along in that vein would steamed soybeans help possibly?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by