OK all you country cooks I need some help...

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lol.png
lau.gif

Quote:
Several varietys of pasta, rice, cream of mushroom soup, tomato soup, spaghetti sauce, cheddar cheese, Mexican blend cheese, milk, cream, canned mushrooms, a variety of veggies, eggs of course, potatoes, and a large variety of seasonings.

Take whatever variety of pasta you have, I prefer egg noodles. Cook the noodles up and then take the meat off the bones add it to the noodles. Put one can (or more if you desrie) of the cream of mushroom soup in with noodles and chicken. Sometimes I add corn or whatever veggie I have on hand. Sprinkle the cheese on top. My family loves this and it's filling.

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lol.png
lau.gif

Ill have to look around and see if I can locate that thread. I love making homemade pasta. The taste is soooooo much better than store bought.

How about Chicken a La King or Chicken on Egg Bread?

The egg bread is a corn bread recipe with an extra egg, so nice and rich. Serve with the chicken sauce over the top and it becomes a wonderful comfort food. This link isn't the recipe I use (I'm one of those people that throw this and that together), but it gives you a good start for making your own.

Chicken and rice dish I make.

Cut chicken up leave bone in if you choose. If I have a quatered chicken I leave bone in other wise if they are not true pieces I break it apart and take bones out. OK, in a baking dish put in chickens pieces then rice around it then pour over all mushroom soup and and some water or milk so soup does not dry out. Cook at 350 for about half hour or until rice is done. Serve with favorite veggi.

Do we not have any southerners chimming in here? NO ONE has mentioned CHICKEN & YALLER RICE!!! (or did i miss it? i did skim over all the posts rather quickly...) That was always a family favorite & to feed a family of 5, I figured it out to be about $1.37 per person (years ago)--and that was me & 4 males!
Another favorite, and very healthy as well is chicken with brown rice & throw in a bag of mixed vegetables. Season with your favorite stuff & viola! you have a very heart-healthy dinner!

Creamed chicken over toast or waffles?

Make a roux from 4 oz butter and 1/2 cup flour (add both to a medium saucepan and cook and stir together until it's smooth and slightly tan). Slowly add 2 to 2 1/2 cups of milk and bring just to boil. It will thicken. Add your shredded chicken, salt and pepper to taste. Here's where you can get creative. You can add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, cooked broccoli, corn, peas....whatever you like. It's also good by itself. Serve over toast, waffles, noodles, rice or whatever you have handy. Not the healthiest meal but it's very satisfying. I use this cream sauce as a launcing point for creamed chipped beef, sausage cream gravy, gravy for country fried steak, crab lumps au gratin, etc.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom