Ok, another "new parent" question..or 2..

chickinlickin

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Ohio
I did a search and found that it's not too unusual for young pullets to lay a soft egg and then one of em eats it....but I'm not too sure what to do to avoid it....out of the 10 I have I must have 3 that have been laying pretty regular for the last couple weeks. The shells are real hard and all have been layed in the nest boxes...this morning a soft egg on on the floor about half eaten. Give them more protein?...cheese? cat food? I threw a handful of cat food in the run tonight and they didn't seem to like it much...maybe too big..?...

And while I got you...I cracked an egg with a meat spot the other day...2nd one we've found....will that hen's egg always have a meat spot? Again I did a search and found some people say she will always lay a "spotted" egg and others seem to think it is just a "once in a while" issue...

Thanks so much to you that answer all these questions and help all of us nervous new parents along!
smile.png

Quote:
Calcium is the normal recommendation for soft-shelled eggs. We're talking about crushed oyster shells as a calcium supplement over here.

And while I got you...I cracked an egg with a meat spot the other day...2nd one we've found....will that hen's egg always have a meat spot? Again I did a search and found some people say she will always lay a "spotted" egg and others seem to think it is just a "once in a while" issue...

I have found a couple of meat spots in my eggs. Just a couple. I am sure the same birds have been laying right along because I am getting anywhere from five to 10 eggs a day from my twelve Red Stars.

Thanks so much to you that answer all these questions and help all of us nervous new parents along!
smile.png

HTH

RSD​

Back
Top Bottom