Ok brooder pictures, HHhelp with size!

North Eastern Wisconsin. Temps get well below zero here, and with wind chills it has gotten in my lifetime -80 below zero
I lived in a drafty old house at that time with no basement, frozen pipes and my dogs water bowls on my kitchen floor were frozen solid by morning, it was cold in my house but at floor level you might as well have been outside. Nasty rental cheap landlord, old house. No ones cars/trucks would start my x mother in laws brand new car wouldn't even turn over. I think that was the winter of 93, but not sure, it was a nasty one. That's the coldest I've seen it, but some years 50 below is the norm with the wind, actually this winter was very cold we had 20 below end of Nov. and that cold never seemed to let up much, 1 whole week for sure it was about 20 below without the wind and chill warnings were out for 45 to 50 below. Believe me 90 sounds very mice after this winter. Kim

goodmorning Kim,
I don't think I could handle weather like that.
I always said I like cold weather, but I'm talking 30, 40, - anything is toooo cold.
it will be low 60's here today, 70 Sat.
I can see where you have to work extra to keep pets of any kind.
Have a great day.
Dennis

Good Morning Dennis
Yes extra work is required, especially trying to keep water un-thawed, even my wild bird heated bath will freeze at about 10 below, so everyday It's chip out ice and add more water. Our stock tanks stay thawed pretty good but cost me about 50.00 bucks extra a month to run. They were wrapped insulated, and a wind break put around them and it's still hard. I'm gonna construct a solar stock tank this summer, to try for next year along with the heater just to make sure, but hoping it will cut the cost some, the power company gets enough of my money as it is.
I've already been searching the web for Idea's for my chickens water, found a few to try but will most likely buy a heated watered for them. Plus I plan to insulate very well, with foam board and hay. No windows on the North or East side and vents will be insulated and closed when its that cold.

Chickens must be pretty adaptable though my neighbors birds are out most of the winter, and in her barn if it's terrible, but she has a pole barn with no insulation, and they seem to be doing ok, a few have had frozen feet, combs, stuff like that. Her worst losses come from foxes, wolves, coyotes, skunks. They have been bad the last 2 years. That's why I'm making a run for my girls, plus my guard dog will be close by just in case.
I have a question for ya though, about where you live is it really hot and humid there in the summer, and do ya have poisonous snakes? I hate snakes, we have grass snakes up here pine snakes are rare, no rattlers except in the very South Western corner of the state along the Iowa border. It gets to cold here for them to make it. LOL I agree with them on that. Ty again Kim

I think that it is cool that you repurposed a piece of furniture!! Way to go!

Nope it isn't a piece of furniture, does look like one though so I was told. It's actually a pallet with sides and a bottom laid in with a cover. It was once a3 foot higher box we used for pellets it held almost a ton of those. We no longer belong to the same co-op so we didn't have need to store 4 tons of pellets every winter anymore so I figured it would make a nice brooder cut down and painted, it also has wheels/casters on the bottom because it weighs like 400 lbs..... well maybe not quite, but the heavy duty pallet we used for the original box was like 90 lbs its constructed with 4x4's not 2x4's so its a heavy duty brooder now, may save my next babies that will most likely be in the garage from some critter or something. Kim​

Love it!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Howdy from Texas.I've been wearing shorts & flip flops all week. My chickshave lived in their coop since a week old they are now 4 weeks & now living without heat. Just thought I would rub it in. The only draw back is that it gets hotter than a firecracker down here. It will be in the 80's today.

Back
Top Bottom