Ok. Debate time.

If it where me I would clip there wings. I will be safer for them in some since(as they won't be away from home, but they won't be able to fly from preditors). If one of my ducks flew away and come back(me guessing it was a gonner) would just die with it. Hope louie come back...

So...Huey and Dewey returned again today. I can live with them flying away for a day or two. I can also live with them flying away to warmer climes. I guess I’m wondering if they would survive taking off like that, which Lydia has answered. Anybody else care to weigh in? The only reason I can see to clip their wings is to keep them near me. I’m fine with them flying away....as long as they’ll survive if they do. If more people feel I should clip their wings to keep them alive, I’ll do that. They just look so majestic flying all over the place. And we have predators outside our fenced yard. If they can only flap over it, they might be more at risk than being free to fly wherever, whenever. Unfortunately, Louie didn’t fly as strong as these two.

I'm not in favor of wing clipping. My view is they may need to be able to fly to escape predators. But, I don't consider animals to be possessions so my view will be different from the majority here I suspect.
I also don't believe that keeping them from flying away necessarily means they are any safer. It's like the chickens in a run debate. Yes, they look safe until something breaks into the run and kills the lot because they can't escape.
You read like you prefer them free. It's a view I have a great deal of sympathy with. However, often freedom comes with a price and that could be they fly off and never come back.
I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the argument that by disabling them in some way helps them stay safe.

I personally feel that allowing a domestic animal to leave your property at will is somewhat irresponsible. :oops: Not so much due to the safety factor.. If your willing to take the risk for them to have their freedom I understand that. Many feel that one day of freedom is better than many days being locked up. My thinking is that wild birds are protected under the migratory birds act and you cannot legally obtain a wild mallard and keep it as a pet without a license, therefore we shouldn't purchase domestic mallards and allow them to be released to the wild either. :confused:
Since They have proven they will not stay on your property and leave for days at a time then I would clip their wings. Just my opinion. :)

Back
Top Bottom