ok, geese mate for life. however.....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by D'Angelo N Va., Jan 13, 2011.

1. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I am going to get some geese this spring. I was wondering if in my order I get for axample 6 females and 2 males, will they service the females like a rooster so when they lay all the eggs are fertile or will I have to pay attention to what hen the gander is hanging out with to get fertile eggs??? I am thinking about getting some American Buffs or Embdens....

2. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Domestic geese males will breed with more than one female. Domestic geese also do not mate for life as wild geese do.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
  4. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    I read that thread and it has conflicting answers as well...

5. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    What conflicting answers?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They don't mate for life in that they will never accept another mate, but given the opportunity most pairs will stay together. Most ganders will mate more than their favorite, but there are some who will not get any on the side unless their preferred mate is setting. Kind of like many people that I know.

7. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] TOO TOO FUNNY..

8. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:never mind...I think I got it now...sometimes I am a little slow...lol..no, but seriously I was curious because I want some geese and I dont want a hen going broody on eggs that will NOT hatch. what kind of turkey is that in your avatar by the way?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've seen my gander slipping around....[​IMG] and I don't mean on ice which we have a ton of right now...[​IMG]

10. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    D'Angelo N Va. :

Quote:never mind...I think I got it now...sometimes I am a little slow...lol..no, but seriously I was curious because I want some geese and I dont want a hen going broody on eggs that will NOT hatch. what kind of turkey is that in your avatar by the way?

I think everyone is a little slow sometimes... [​IMG]

The turkey is a Narragansett.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by