ok, geese mate for life. however.....

D'Angelo N Va.

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
I am going to get some geese this spring. I was wondering if in my order I get for axample 6 females and 2 males, will they service the females like a rooster so when they lay all the eggs are fertile or will I have to pay attention to what hen the gander is hanging out with to get fertile eggs??? I am thinking about getting some American Buffs or Embdens....

They don't mate for life in that they will never accept another mate, but given the opportunity most pairs will stay together. Most ganders will mate more than their favorite, but there are some who will not get any on the side unless their preferred mate is setting. Kind of like many people that I know.

Quote:
lau.gif
TOO TOO FUNNY..

Quote:
never mind...I think I got it now...sometimes I am a little slow...lol..no, but seriously I was curious because I want some geese and I dont want a hen going broody on eggs that will NOT hatch. what kind of turkey is that in your avatar by the way?

D'Angelo N Va. :

Quote:
never mind...I think I got it now...sometimes I am a little slow...lol..no, but seriously I was curious because I want some geese and I dont want a hen going broody on eggs that will NOT hatch. what kind of turkey is that in your avatar by the way?

I think everyone is a little slow sometimes...
lol.png

The turkey is a Narragansett.​

Back
Top Bottom