OK...getting very concerned!!!

henmommy

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Upstate NY
I have 9 girls, all bought the same day as 1-2 day old chicks. 6 BO, 1 RIR & 2 EE's. They free range, get treats and layer feed almost daily. At 21 weeks I received my first egg from one of my EE's.
smile.png
Now three weeks later, nothing from anyone else! Is this normal? When Miss EE's gets in the box to lay, the rest look at her like she's crazy. She lays nearly everyday. I see the signs, but I see no eggs.
barnie.gif
Any thoughts?

Hens will lay when their bodies are ready. There is nothing you can do to hurry them up, and they dont always lay at exactly 6 months. You may not see an egg until they are 8 months. It just depends on their bodies. Dont rush them! It will happen.

At 21 weeks, your birds are only 5 months old. They still have a way's to go. You just have an early bloomer with the other one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like many, I am new at this. Just making sure I am not doing anything wrong and this is normal. Thanks for the feedback.

Nope! As long as your feeding them and giving them a secure place to live, you are doing everything right!

Its easy to get nervous when you always hear people say "6 months" over and over and over. But the truth is some start laying earlier, some start later. You never can tell.

Just keep feeding them normally, and keep them secure from predators, and they'll lay pretty soon. I would probably give them another 3 to 4 weeks at least.

It is soooo hard to wait for those early eggs. I hope they start laying soon. We are finally on all home grown eggs. I have 10 of 12 laying at 23 weeks. Many more to start between now and January.

Hang in there!! I went through the same thing for 9 days between that first egg and the next one. Then suddenly, eggs every day!!!
I was sure my feed was stale, or the coop was drafty, or the nests were too small, or I wasn't singing the right song in the morning during chores... but they just weren't ready yet.
wink.png

Last edited:
I'm not freaking out yet, though I have hens who are 22 and 24 weeks old. I do however feel a bit of friendly pressure/competition b/c a guy I work with closely (whose chickens are also 22 weeks old-we got them in the same order) has been getting eggs for two weeks from his white leghorns (I don't have any of these)...... I thought he would spit up when i told him his chickens were just sluts LOL!

We are in the same boat, I have 10 hens that are 24 weeks old and NO EGSS!!! I am feeding them the right foods, they have nice boxes, etc. but they refuse to lay.

When that day comes it'll be like a declared Holiday in our house!!

--Susan

Back
Top Bottom