Ok how long do you go with out starting to worry ?

wildwings

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Ok so here is the time line I got so far for the Bobwhites:

Wed was day #23 nothing really on this day

Thurs was day #24 we seen some piping on 4-6 eggs really tiny cracks

Fri was day #25 had eggs piped and at 3pm first quail hatched and 2nd quail at about 3:30pm. All last night they were really active and 6 different eggs rolling all over the place. So like 9pm I noticed sponges were pretty dry so I removed and used warm water to re wet sponges and placed back in. The temp in incubator never went below 99 while I did this.

Sat. now is day #26 and starting to get nervous the eggs with piping the holes are downward and watching for about 10 mins I did not see any eggs rocking or rolling other then when the 2 active quail run past knocking into them.

So how long do you go before worrying about the eggs I was planning on putting the 2 into the brooder today but left them in for now to act as cheerleaders to get there siblings out. Any input ? Thanks

Last edited:
Did you open the door of the incubator while eggs were pipped? If so those eggs probably won't be able to hatch now. When dry air hits the eggs it does what we call "shrink wrapping" and makes the internal membrane of the egg stick to the chick. They almost never survive this without help, but I don't recommend anyone who isn't a veteran at assisted hatching try it.

As DC has said, it is never a good idea to open the incubator lid when there is pipping because it can dry out the membranes inside the eggs and make the chicks stick to the inside of the eggs.

BUT...many times the chicks can stop rocking and rolling 24 hours before they hatch. I have seen it so don't give up hope yet. I have had Bobs hatch on day 26 or even 27 depending on if my temp was a bit low during the entire incubation cycle.

What I like to do is if I just HAVE to open the lid of the incubator when there is pipping, I get a spray bottle full of warm water. I reach in to do what ever I have to do and spray the eggs and entire incubator down good. Do this very quickly but get everything wet. This way what humidity you lost can be recuped far quicker than letting it all come back up over time. I try never to open the lid, but sometimes you may have to.

Just give it a couple more days and see what happens.

So far nothing is changing but the chicks are going on 24 hours as for opening the lid I lifted the 1 corner just enough to pull the sponges out of the corners and rewet them. The temp never went below 99 degrees and it took like 1/2 a sec to pull it out. As for the humidity the incubator still has moisture and the humidity in my basement is at 70%+ . I think I am going to move the chicks tonight at 6pm to the brooder so they can eat and drink. Do you think if I candle a egg I would be able to see what is going on. I did talk to a big hatchery in the area and his advice is just let them set for a couple more days if they don't hatch it was meant to be. Any thoughts on this ? I am kind of thinking he has a point.

PS the picture was thru the window not with the lid off. I just have a cheap $40 no bells no whistle Styrofoam incubator.

I agree with the hatchery. You don't want to mess with the eggs at this point. Your temp is fine and a small drop is not the issue. If they don't hatch, it could be from the humidity drop or maybe the eggs themselves. Lots of factors in why eggs don't hatch. All you can do is start with the best eggs possible, keep conditions as close to perfect as you can and keep your fingers crossed.

I would go at least 2 more days before giving up. They could surprise you. They very well could be alive in there. So let them rest for a couple more days and then make your assessment. You have nothing to lose at this point by waiting a couple days.

Just a UPDATE got my 2 quail moved over to brooder and seen 1 of the pip eggs started moving again so sprayed warm water onto the sponge thru port hole and just going to let them go. I did check 1 pipped egg that has been sitting for over 24 hours and that wasn't a positive out come.

Its been over 24 hours since he pipped and the one that was rocking is now peeping !

Here is the other 2 in brooder.

Last edited:
Yay!!
clap.gif
Anymore pipping or hatching this morning?

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!!
smile.png

What is that bedding you have in the brooder? If it is sand, you will need to cover it for at least a week or so as babies will eat it, confusing it with food and will die. Lay paper towels down and sprinkle crushed feed all around the feeder area. Keep the towels down until you are sure they know where the food is stored, what to eat and what not to eat.

Back
Top Bottom