OK I HAVE TO VENT!!! UPDATE UPDATE U R NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!!!

I am involved with two breed Rescues, Shelties and MinPins. I have dealt with both good and bad people in both of these groups. I have done the home visits, reviewed and worked applications for both breeds.

A responsible rescue group will have certain guidelines regarding how and who they adopt these dogs out to. These dogs that are in foster homes are there because people didn't have the time to deal with the dog, didn't do the research on the breed, couldn't keep them because of family situations, finances, illness, or in some of the cases need to be rehomed do to being deployed overseas.

The foster homes are responsible for taking care of the dog(s) including the proper vetting of the dog, spay/neuter, as well as working with these dogs to find out if they have any behavior problems and working with those dogs. If they are sanctioned by a National Organization, then these volunteers may or may not be re-imbursed for certain expenses.

Both breeds I help out with do background checks, home visits, and interviews with potential adopters. We do screen applicants carefully because we want to make sure that these dogs are going to a forever home. We want to make sure that the people that are adopting one of these dogs understands the needs of the breed and what it all entails.

I have 6 MinPins currently, that I was just going to foster originally,
and I wound up adopting as my own. The first four are a father, mother, aged 6, and their two pups, male and female, aged 5. I couldn't see breaking them up as they had all been together since they were puppies. The next was a return to the rescue because the couple that adopted him were getting a divorce and he supposedly had behavior issues. After a week in my home, his supposed behavior issues mostly disappeared, and he is only 4 years old. The last one is the grand dame of the house, she is over 10 years old, was picked up as a stray and was scheduled to be euthanized. Of them all she is the most independent and stubborn. Because of her age and medical conditions her vet bills came to over $500.00. She had never been spayed, had a skin condition and a couple of infections.

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience, but I would contact the national organization about the situation. Just state the facts, the fact that she didn't even review your app is inexcusable and made her judgement because you asked a few intelligent questions. I wish more adopters would take the time to research the breeds that they are interested in first before they decide to adopt. I have turned down applications because they failed to provide the required information, or just wanted the dog because they felt it looked cute, or they wanted a small dog.

The Shelties I help my friend Karen with(she keeps them at her kennels) are placed with just the same rigourous methods.

Good luck, and it looks like you have one more for your family so far.

They are my buddies and they sleep with me at night

think I'm gonna call it a day. It wasn't meant to be

I think there's a lot to be said for knowing when things weren't meant to be. Maybe the universe is sparing you from taking a dog that will have chronic health problems... I don't know, but I tend to think these things work out the way they should.

That rescuer will get back what she has given, I'm sure of it. Don't let her bad head space mess with you.

Enjoy that cute lil foster pup you have there.​

Aaaawww...congrats on the foster pup
smile.png

Quote:
Don't let her bad head space mess with you.

Enjoy that cute lil foster pup you have there.

Thanks
smile.png
I like that "bad head space" great way to put it.

Quote:
Well said. I find it absolutely crazy that rescues would rather adopt a "working" type dog to a home in the city to be penned up for 8-10 hours a day in the house then left out in a fenced in yard to pee and then back in the house, rather than to adopt them out to do what they were bred to do. I think being stuck in a house bored is probably what got them to a shelter/resuce in the first place.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well said. I find it absolutely crazy that rescues would rather adopt a "working" type dog to a home in the city to be penned up for 8-10 hours a day in the house then left out in a fenced in yard to pee and then back in the house, rather than to adopt them out to do what they were bred to do. I think being stuck in a house bored is probably what got them to a shelter/resuce in the first place.

I agree...People need to do more research...Anyone who really knows working breeds should know they need to work or at the least have something to occupy them.

I'm sorry that such an exciting time turned into something so aggravating and frustrating. I try to adopt when possible, and have unfortunately run into many of the same kind of people. On one occasion it was from a rescue other than the one I had adopted the dog from!

I was originally going to adopt another dog from the pound, and when I got there on adoption day she was nowhere to be found. I spoke to the ACO and they had had to euthanize the dog as their budget was so small that surgery would have jeopardized the welfare of the other dogs that they might take in that year. She was crying, I was crying, but I understood. They had another dog they had just brought in that she thought I would like, so she brought her out of the holding area for me to see. I was sold, but she had to stay there for a week in case someone claimed her.

I called every day to make sure they still had her, and was there waiting for them to open on adoption day. We introduced her to my other dog, and everything went well so I signed the paperwork, collected her from her kennel and was leaving with her. On the way out I was stopped by a lady asking if she could help me. I had no idea who she was, and told her no, I had just adopted this dog and we were going home.

She told me that that wasn't possible, the dog was going to their rescue and they had a vet appointment for her that morning. The ACO stopped her to talk to her, and I kept going, only to be met by another 'rescue' member outside the door. I had the same conversation with her, and when the other one joined us they proceeded to pretty much interrogate me about whether or not I could provide a suitable home for the dog, whether I knew about her 'special needs' etc. The dog didn't have 'special needs', other than needing to be on a leash like any Bloodhound. One of them had even got my name and address from the ACO and told me that they would be coming to our house to check on her! I thought I was going to blow my top, so I left the ACO to explain that it was my dog and none of their business. I think she had chosen to forget that they wanted to take the dog, and knew I would take good care of her.

I took her to the vet that morning for her shots and to be checked over. It turned out she had heartworm, so I called the pound to ask permission to have her spayed once she was treated, which would take longer than the usual 30 day limit. The ACO was fine with that, and gave me 6 months to have it done instead.

A week or so later I was in Petsmart and they had an adoption event with that same 'rescue'! Talk about bad timing. The two ladies were there, and were literally spying around the end of the aisles! It was so absurd I went and spoke to them, to put their minds at ease that I was not beating or starving the dog. It turned out that they had actually called the vet to see if I had taken the dog in, and got her records! I was so furious I had to leave. I really think the only reason they wanted her was because she was purebred, and they could charge more to adopt her.

We had another crazy episode when looking to adopt a cat. The rescue in question had us fill out a 5 page form, and one of the questions was 'How old are your window screens?'! We went elsewhere.

That being said, there are good people and good rescues too. I prefer to use the pound as those animals are the most at risk, and their adoption procedures are usually the most reasonable. It can be hard to know what you're getting though, and I would not recommend an Amstaff from a pound unless they allow you to spend a great deal of time getting to know the dog. It is just too risky knowing how some of these breeds can be mistreated.

That is crazy...see there are alot of wackos out there...my sis in law went on their website and the adoption fee on their website was $200 but on Petfinders for this litter of "purebreds" they wanted $325..... You are probably right about that rescue wanting her because she was a purebreed...

Back
Top Bottom