OK, i have to vent...

This is really a tough one.

You are being more patient then I would be. It is a terrible thing you are going through, but just try to remember this thing, The dog is only doing what is his instinct, he does not know any better. Any one with dogs can tell you the dog has to be taught that killing the chickens is wrong, and she is shirking her duties.

You really only have two options here, you cannot just do nothing and rely on her building a better fence, he has killed once he wil do it again.

You can shoot it, and you have that right but you also have to live with yourself. We raise animals for eggs and or their meat not just to slaughter and toss. This dog is also the victim.

I tend to think the second option is best, take it to a shelter and tell them it is either your dog and make up some story why you have to give it up, or say your child is allergic or something, just get it away. If you leave it some place it will only come back. This way you are not left with guilt feelings, and you are a sensitive person or you would have shot it a long time ago, right?

Why don't you suggest in strong terms that she purchase and install and train her dog to a shock collar/underground system and you can add a transmitter and wire around your coop for a double whammy? Just another thought.

Protecting my flock of chickens would be first priority. If I catch a dog, any dog, trying to kill my chickens that dog will be dodging lead as it's trying to vacate the premises. It will be excedingly lucky if it makes it off the property. Then a call to the sheriff department to make a report of a dangerous dog attacking my livestock will be made. I'll let the deputy sheriff explain to the dog owner why the dog was shot. End of story and problem......

I live in he suburbs there are no really mean dogs here and I don't have a real gun but If someone asks why did you kick my dog or why did you shoot it with an areshoph gun or why did you try and chock my dog to death with your bare hands (I don't think I would really chock one) I will tell them honestly it was trying to get my chickens. all the neighborhood dogs are either on electrical fence or have been (trained) by me that they will get a hurtin if they touch my chickens even my dogs know not to mess with them and they are hounds.

henry

Quote:
And then gets out of the full liability of her actions. Basically, she's playing you.

Some people shouldn't own some dogs. In this case, she shouldn't own the one she has.

Wouldn't shooting the dog with rock salt sting the daylights out of it? It wouldn't cause long term damage, but should scare it. Wouldn't that be a good start at least?

When I first moved from city to country almost 8 yrs ago, I never thought I would be able to dispatch a dog acting like a predator. I used to call my farmer neighbour to take care of the raccoons I trapped. Even tho I was an avid bow hunter, I was not able to do the deed.

That all changed when 1 of my chooks was attacked by a dog. I took a firearms course, and purchased a shotgun. I've had to dispatch more dogs than I have hunted deer in the last few years. It has become just a part of protecting my flock. I don't enjoy it, but it is something as a responsible chicken owner that I must do. Good luck with your problem.

As much as i hate the thoughts of shooting a dog I know at times it becomes something that is a must.

Too many dogs being bred, to many people with no knowledge of animals owning them and a society that in general does not like to take responsibility for anything, are the biggest causes of this all to common problem.

If you look back at history a dog was a working member of a farm. It was a privilage that came with responsibility, for a child to get their first dog, and not a right to own disposable commodity like animals are viewed by many today.

Back
Top Bottom