Ok I know these guys are roo's but....

well, that, or they were mixed with a light bird like a leghorn....maybe to increase size of eggs and production rate...EEs are mixes after all...they can have any body shape, density, personality, etc.

Both those roosters look the same so I don't know how someone can pull them off as two different breeds
wink.png

They're Easter Eggers as said though. Araucanas are always clean faced (when it concerns beards, as they should not have any) but rarely come tailed.

Araucanas are also just too rare to randomly find someone giving or selling out roosters of.

This is an Araucana. Very asily distinguished

US Araucanas have "tufts" - curling or floppy literal feathers from one or both sides of their faces. No beard, no fluff on the side, just the feathers and only from out of a bit of flesh near the earlobe.

Last edited:
They give really nice blue and green eggs... Some are lighter in color, some are darker, some are brownish.. I will post a pic here in a few..

An Easter Egger is a chicken that does not meet the standard for any breed but that lays blue or green eggs. An Ameraucana is a pure breed that has a tail, is muffed and bearded, has slate legs, and is a color accepted by the SOP for Ameraucanas. The Araucana is the breed from which Ameraucanas originated, but true Araucanas are very rare. They are tufted and rumpless. Because the tufted gene is lethal, clean faced birds are considered Araucanas but only tufted Araucanas can be shown. Rumpless chickens are missing the last vertebra and have absolutely no tail.
Your first roo is reddish, which is not a color that is accepted for Ameraucanas, and he does not have slate legs. The second one looks wheaten, which is an accepted Ameraucana color, but he has white legs and is not bearded/muffed.
They're very pretty, though
smile.png
I love EEs.
Edited to add: Pure Ameraucanas and Araucanas lay sky-blue eggs and those appear to brown/pink and greenish, so I would say your hens are also EEs. I have an EE hen who was supposed to lay blue eggs, but they aren't even "pink", they're exactly like the eggs of my other hens.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, McMurray sells EEs as "araucana/ameraucana" and people think they are all the same. As has been said, araucana have no tail (tufting is a lethal gene so some HAVE to not have tufts, and it's hard to get them with it!) while ameraucana are completely different and have the fuzzy beard/muffs - which araucana do NOT have.

Both big, beautiful EE boys.

Laced Wyandottes are actually laced on the breast
wink.png
And have rose combs, not pea combs.

In the picture it kind of looks like there is some lacing, but it's hard to tell. He has a rose comb too, but maybe it's a cushion comb? I don't know
tongue.png

Oh and I was talking about the 2nd roo being a Golden Laced Wyandotte, just to be clear.

Back
Top Bottom