Ok, is my Pullet looking for a Rooster??

Spinster_Sister

Songster
10 Years
Nov 9, 2009
Hawthorne, CA
My beautiful, Parsley, is finally laying eggs! She laid her 3rd one today and something I noticed tonight is that when I petted her she squatted slightly, flared her wings out a little, her tail went up but her fuzzy pants drooped downward and she made funny short "squaks". I thought she was going to lay an egg.

After about a minute of it, she ruffled up her feathers and shook them and returned to her normal state.

Is that mating pullet behavior?

She really doesn't care about the eggs she lays...so far.

Yup, you nailed it! She is treating you like she would treat a handsome roo on a 5th date!
wink.png
Thats classic behavior for a pullet who is willing to be bred. I only had one do that for me out of the 12 I had last year, its so cute when they do that!

That's the submissive stance a pullet/hen makes for the rooster, indicating "I'm yours, you may have your way with me." I think it's adorable when they do it for ME. (I have a rooster, too - only two of my flock will squat for him; he has to chase the rest of them down.)

And I take advantage of those squats - I skritch the back of their necks and tell them what good girls they are and how much I appreciate their eggs.

As others have said, it's a submission thing. I tried a rooster for a while, and only two would submit to him, but they all submit to me...lol. For the two that do a total submission (coincidentally the two who would submit to the rooster), I gently cup their back area just above the tail and do a quick shake back and forth a few time...lol. They fluff up afterward and go on their merry way. The others I just give a quick pet.
smile.png

That depends on the pullet. She may do it every time, or not. You know how teenagers can be- fickle and easily offended!
idunno.gif

My EE that did that for me, pretty much did it everytime, but not 100% of the time. Just enjoy it, its cute, kinda funny, and gives you a chance to give extra love (and sneak in the occasional lice/mite check!)

I have two girls who will always squat when you touch if your hand even approaches their backs.

Use this as an opportunity to pick them up and fully check them over and to teach them to trust,

Sandie

I have some girls that would squat if I moved quickly. (not even reaching for them), but now that my rooster is doing his duties, I think they've decided that's sufficient and they don't squat as often for me anymore. (I only have 7 hens right now of laying age, but soon he'll have 4 more ladies to service, they're close to POL)

Back
Top Bottom