Ok it is driving me batty....can someone please tell me why she is so

007Dawn

Out Of Coop
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
small?

I know I posted a similar question a week ago and now all of my chicks have double their size except this one! I took a few pictures, but they are bad. You will need to click on my link and scroll to the bottom and the last pictures you will see what I mean. The chicks are all the same age in this grouping about 6-7 weeks old. But the tiny one there doesn't seem to grow and she is the same age!

If she has a gene that is stunted in growth or a runt like suggested then does that mean she will always be this tiny? When will she grow?

She is happy and healthy but so tiny.
idunno.gif

I can't answer the small...but I have a couple just like her in my brooder. Everyone else is ginormous compared to these two! One of the tinies has feathered out but is still small. The other still has fuzz and only the wings are feathering...she's small and blue.

I'm wondering if these have some bantam blood in them? The small one that is feathering out (stinkerbelle) is the cockiest chick in the whole brooder box too! She likes to jump on her sisters and brother's backs and squawk at them.

I remember your previous post. I searched the web for what it could be, but I had no luck. I think the only way we'll find out is in time. I do hope someone comes along and knows. Good luck and she is adorable.

Ok well maybe she is normal after all. She is the size of a sparrow where the others are at least 12 x's her size now. She holds her own and they don't peck her or anything. In fact one of the chickens is her pillow at night. But darn I can't get the pictures right to show the difference. They are afraid of my camera. As soon as they see it they get a look of terror and run! So I don't want to keep trying to take them! URGGG. But she is so cute.

I have a 7 week old Silver Lakenvelder that is smaller than all of my 4 week old chicks, and is pretty much only feathered on her wings. She is starting to get some body feathers now, finally. Mine acts just like the other chicks and seems perfectly healthy, just tiny... which is why her name is Tiny.
smile.png

Yours is smaller though, how old is she? What breed? Such a cute chick!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I have an EE who is just 5 days older than Tiny and she looks like a giant compared to her. When they were in the brooder together I walked into the garage one night and there was Tiny, sleeping on Ester's back. Of course by the time I was able to get my camera and get back they had moved, darn it. It was so cute though.

All living things grow at different rates... even children.
wink.png

As long as they are eating and drinking and going to the bathroom and seem to be healthy I wouldn't worry that much. They will probably catch up.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom