OK. My mind is totally blown! What is this!?!?

OMG what is that? I saw pics online. It says they are egg shaped? This wasn't. Still just trying to understand. Thank you all for your help!!!
They aren't always egg shaped. It's not an issue as long as she is acting healthy and doesn't lay another one. Feed her(and all your chickens) layer feed, so they get the calcium they need for strong egg shells

I'm going through another thread of yours from last month... You mentioned you were feeding her scratch daily... Did you stop that last month or have you continued to give her scratch daily?

Have you dewormed this new to you bird?
I have given her - what was advised to me as natural dewormer, D.E. and apple cidar vinegar which I only gave her a couple times.. Do you think I need someting else? Are worms suspected here? I was trying not to use harsh chemicals. A dewormer that the co-op suggested, they said it would take paint off of things and that sounded horrific to me.

As soon as people told me in April to only give scratch as a treat, I stopped. I actually have been feeling bad that I only give it to them every 2 or 3 days and not a lot. What do you think about that?

If I were you I would not listen to anything anybody else at your co op tells you because they clearly have no clue what they're talking about.
Ok Kiki. I suspected that MIGHT be going on because they act like they don't really care and are in a hurry to be done with me. I see now they are jerks.

I have given her - what was advised to me as natural dewormer, D.E. and apple cidar vinegar which I only gave her a couple times.. Do you think I need someting else? Are worms suspected here? I was trying not to use harsh chemicals. A dewormer that the co-op suggested, they said it would take paint off of things and that sounded horrific to me.

As soon as people told me in April to only give scratch as a treat, I stopped. I actually have been feeling bad that I only give it to them every 2 or 3 days and not a lot. What do you think about that?
DE and apple cider vinegar won’t kill any worms if they have worms.

There is nothing wrong with an occasional treat, but occasional means maybe once or twice a week, not a little every day. Especially when they are in a transitioning stage to where they are becoming adults and laying eggs. Here more than any other time, you need to ensure they have ample amounts of EVERYTHING they need, which is what commercial feeds give them. Feed them the stuff they need, let them get into the egg laying routine, and get that sorted, THEN you can worry about treats now and then. Let the treat be the beetle or grasshopper they catch in the yard, not the sugar dud you gave them.

Aaron
Should I lay off the vegetables and watermelon - (given twice) that I have been trying to scrouge up and just give layer feed for now?

and she just layed 2 eggs in one day that were perfectly normal, next day no egg, and then a single one that was perfectly normal yesterday. No signs of any yolk and they don't like to eat much else than the feed I've been giving them but Ive heard they like egg yolk so I guess its possible she ate it. So wierd.

Ok Kiki. I suspected that MIGHT be going on because they act like they don't really care and are in a hurry to be done with me. I see now they are jerks.

They might not be jerks, just people who know only a little bit about the subject, and some of what they think they know is wrong. They were probably hired to sell stuff (ring up people's purchases), and then found that people keep asking questions about stuff they don't really know.

About the chick starter-- it probably says "medicated" in big letters, and the name of the medicine in small letters (amprolium, most likely). That is not an antibiotic, but someone who just sees the name might guess it was. It is really something to prevent coccidiosis, which can be deadly in small chicks but is pretty rare in older chickens, so your current birds should be fine without it.

Back
Top Bottom