Ok now for a theoretical question...

Keenonf

Songster
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Dallas area
So lets say i'm incubating 8 eggs. Developing nicely insidemy nice little incubator. Its day nineteen and soon they will hatch. In my chicken coop is a silkie momma going broody. So my question is, would it be possible to put those theoretical eggs under my theoretical silkie the last few days before they hatch so that the theoretical silkie will raise these theoretical chicks? Or will she figure out that it takes a little longer than a day or two to hatch and won't accept them when they do hatch. As you have probably figured out, this question is purely theoretical. Well, to an extent. I have recently bought an incubator and i do have a few silkies but there only 3 months old so they won't be going broody soon i expect. I mean it sounds like it would work but things have a funny way of screwing up sometimes so i thought i'd consult my intelligent friends at BYC.

lol.png
Your post is funny!!! You can give the broody the chicks. She doesn't need to hatch the eggs to accept them.

I don't know, Debi.... I had a hen that was broody for 5 days. I gave her 4 chicks just hatched. I placed them under her at night. I went out to check a half an hour later and 3 were dead and thrown out from the nest, the 4th thrown out and ice cold. I posted about it on here and was told by several it was because she had not been broody long enough and DID know it was too soon for chicks....

Back
Top Bottom