Ok really! WHO IS SICK OF IT?! ~UPDATED!~

When you wave a hand near their backside- do they run or squat? Run? Not ready to lay. Squat- as in preparing for a rooster- they are ready to lay. If they are presenting themselves, or squatting, then they may be laying their eggs in places you may not be intending. Are they free ranging during the day or are they in a fenced chicken yard?

everbody waiting for eggs.... no.1...make sure you have enough light... not for heat... just light.... give 13 or 14 hrs of light a day and they'll be pumping out eggs for ya....

my friends want to know if I will match sale prices and accept coupons
lau.gif

they will not b getting eggs
gig.gif

Just take a deep breath. Make sure there is lots of light for the hens in the coop and the day you are really in a bd mood when nothing is going right, that will be the day you go out to the coop and there on the floor will be your very first egg. That's how it happened for us. I was having a bad day at work, and when I got home I went to check on the the chickens and there was the most expensive egg I've ever bought! And it's the most exhilarating feeling. Well worth the wait, pleading, begging, and bribing.

Im with you!!!!!!
sad.png
My girls are 20 weeks.... At least i finally saw one squat today, first time. I just keep hoping everytime i go to the coop... one of these times.....
roll.png

Quote:
Its like being pregnant and being asked every day by tons of people..."when are you going to have the baby" it just happens when it happens. Im in the same boat too. We have 18 chickens and still waiting impatiently for them to start laying

Hehehe, yeah, that's about the way of it!
lol.png
I just get the impression someone's looking to mooch some eggs.
roll.png
While I'm sure our five will produce more eggs than my DH and I will regularly consume, the ones making pests of themselves are certainly not at the top of the list to receive any surplus we may end up with. They keep it up and they won't be on the list at all.
tongue.gif

Quote:
I'd feel weird checking (my poor girls would probably think I've lost my mind, lol)! But is the same true for Bantams? How big should they be?

Quote:
Had to laugh when I read this! My co-workers are fascinated by the whole thing. They were like a bunch of happy grannies when I stopped by my work the day I picked the chicks up. They want to know all the latest. One even brings a bag of stuff in once in a while...heels of bread, tomato cores, eye of newt, and wing of bat. LOL. When I told them about the first egg they were all SOOO excited! Now they ask, "how many today?"... and I think I'm seeing a little drool-age.
droolin.gif

Aren't you glad they are interested in your hobby? But, seriously, it is SO hard to wait for that first egg!

Yes it is torture waiting on them to lay, that's why we brought 3 that were already laying and then some chicks to raise, once you get hooked on fresh eggs it's hard to eat store bought, lol. Everyone is right about the light, we have ours set to come on at 4 in the morning so they get 14 hours of light, you want to set the timer for morning instead of night, because if they stay up while it's dark, then the light goes out they can see to roost. That's my opinion anyways, seems to work better as I learned this the hard way, good luck and hope they start laying for ya soon!

Back
Top Bottom