Ok really! WHO IS SICK OF IT?! ~UPDATED!~

I started with 4 week old chicks this summer, a mix of them, plus a few laying ladies so I wouldn't go crazy waiting. My chickies are now 5 1/2 months and only 2 of the Ameraucanas have just started laying.

Every few nights when they come in to roost I come in and do a 'gynecological exam', checking vents.
ep.gif

I actually have no complaints. Two of my girls started laying at 17 weeks old. The rest started falling in line a few weeks later. Only one of my hens has not started laying yet... that I can tell. They are starting to get ready to moult I'm thinking, because two of my best layers have stopped giving me eggs daily. The others lay similar colored eggs, so I can't tell which ones layed and which ones didn't. (That is the part I'm tired of. Jasper's eggs are green, Daisy's are white. Everyone else lays brown and pink eggs... Can't tell who layed what.

Don't be too hard on them. I had some hens once that weren't producing any eggs. At least that's what I thought. Until I went in the coop one day and found a chicken snake with three lumps in its body! Had to apologize to the girls.

Fanny's Mom :

Don't be too hard on them. I had some hens once that weren't producing any eggs. At least that's what I thought. Until I went in the coop one day and found a chicken snake with three lumps in its body! Had to apologize to the girls.

I had a rat that was waiting for the girls to lay and get up, then running in and eating them. Took me almost 2 weeks to figure it out. Dang critters.​

Back
Top Bottom