ok to feed spent grain from brewing beer

i am getting about 150# wet every 2 or 3 weeks. so i am going to try to dry about 1/2 and wet feed 1/2, it may be free but i sure do hate to waste it and let it spoil. thought i would try freezing it in small manageable containers and see how that works

Because it is wet, it will spoil quickly. So it needs to be well dried in order to store it.

An interesting thread and it ties in with some info from another thread (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds). I'd just like to add an observation from my own experiences with fermented grains. While they will go bad really quickly while they remain wet I accidently discovered they will remain good if never exposed to oxygen. I fermented a batch of beer (without hops) on the grain. I didn't get around to bottling it and it sat for around 8 months (O'k, I'm a bit lazy in that way). Anyways, when I went to open it and toss it it did not have any off smell to it. Surprised by this, I actually repeated this two more times and waited a bit over 6 months and neither batch went bad. This is done with very clean fermenter buckets and an air lock. Not necessarily something for everyone but for any homebrewers out there, you'll know the steps and already have all the equipment. Just keep it airlocked until you're ready to use it.

do you think if i double or triple bagged it with twist ties would it stay fresh?? i also have a lot of large grain bags to use for this and that would be much better than freezing the grains

do you think if i double or triple bagged it with twist ties would it stay fresh?? i also have a lot of large grain bags to use for this and that would be much better than freezing the grains

Short answer is No. This works because the ferment has forced all oxygen out of the vessel and the airlock protects the contents from being exposed to any oxygen. There is a layer of CO2 that sits on top and seals off the contents. Once it is opened it is now exposed to oxygen and the process begins. If you are getting the grain from someone else after they are finished with it you will either need to dry it out or freeze it. I noticed someone had posted on driers that have come up with. I didn't actually read through that entry but might be worth your time. If you have a steady supply you're a lucky one -- figure out what you need to do to utilize it (think pigs also).

EDIT: Thinking further on this there is a way you might be able to utilize this. It will take some additional effort on your part. If you can get the grain fresh from processing you can put it in a vessel that you have the ability to seal and put an air lock. Add a couple of cups of sugar (depending on amount of grains) and add some bread yeast then top up with water. This will cause a short ferment and seal off the contents with CO2. The key would be to figure out how much you utilize in 2-3 days and partition in those quantities. This would sorta be like ole-style canning (you can keep it on the shelf but once you open it you need to use it up). If you are interested and would like to explore this further I'd be glad to provide what info I can.

Last edited:
What ever is left and close to spoiling can be added to your compost, make some happy worms. I thought hops got added later in the brewing cycle, after the grains had been removed.

Be very careful with the hops. Hops are extremely poisonous to dogs. It will kill them within 24 hours. I am not sure how poultry would react to hops. I would research it in depth.

Because it is wet, it will spoil quickly. So it needs to be well dried in order to store it.

If you have a brewery, you might need to get a couple of pigs, too, since you are probably producing a lot more grain than your chickens can eat.

There is a local group that raises cattle on brewery grains and sell for premium prices, using clever advertising about how premium their beef is because of the diet.

Traditionally, Wagyu beef is grass fed and finished on brewery grain. I would be curious if meat chickens tasted different if fed this over corn or regular feed.

Back
Top Bottom