OK to give chick starter to ducklings?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sunny Side Up, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    My friend just bought half my duckling order, 5 Khaki Campbells. She also recently bought a 50 pound bag of chick starter. She only has 10 half-grown banty chicks to feed. Could she give chick starter to 2 week old ducklings too?

I've been giving my ducklings Flock Raiser, and feeding it to my own 4 half-grown chicks. I was going to split bags of Flock Raiser with my friend until our ducklings are older and eating more.

But she'd like to use up this chick starter before it gets stale. So do you think she should give chick starter to the ducklings? Or mix it half-and-half with the Flock Raiser? Or just give the ducklings only Flock Raiser?

Thank you for your advice.

2. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    We feed our baby ducks and baby chics all the same starter food. It worked great for us!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. cecilia501

cecilia501 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2007
    Benton City, WA
    I think I remember reading that it is bad for ducklings to eat the medicated chick starter, but unmedicated is ok. You might want to get more info on this though since I'm not positive. [​IMG]

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    True. Unmedicated is okay. I always used Flockraiser for our ducks, and they turned out HUGE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by