Ok To Have Only One Bird Of Each Breed?

wdeubert

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Cumberland, RI
Hi There,
I'm about to begin keeping chickens and am researching breeds. There are several breeds I'm considering but will only be keeping 6-8 birds total. (Only interested in hens for now and main purpose is for pets / eggs). I'm wondering if it is ok to have a flock with 6 different breeds or if there is any reason why it is better to have at least 2 of the same breeds in the flock?

It's the same as selecting the assorted flavors box of chocolates versus the box with all caramel centers. It's strictly your personal choice, and both choices are yummy good, good good!

My flock of twenty chickens includes ten different breeds (if I'm counting right), and my Brahma, Cochin, Marans, SLWyandotte, GLWyandotte happen to be singles of their breeds. They don't appear to suffer from it or even notice. Neither to any of the other chickens appear to notice these are only singles.

I love all the different breeds I have, including two mixes, and I enjoy all the different egg colors. If you want to go this route, there's no reason why you shouldn't unless you wish to get into breeding.

But @rosemarythyme has a super good point.

I'm thinking of Buff Orpington, Plymouth Rock, Wyandotte, Wellsummer, Chochin, Silkies, Faverolles and Brahmas but I need to do some more research and narrow it down obviously lol. Any recommendations?

Welcome!
Silkies can be tricky in mixed flocks, because they are smaller, can't fly, and don't see well with that topknot. Many people have them in separate housing because of that.
Depending on where you live, some breeds will do better than others. In very cold climates, single combs and big wattles may get frostbitten; not the end of the world, but not nice either. In very hot climates, the big fluffy birds have more problems overheating.
How about egg colors? An Easter Egger for green, for example?
It's good to try different breed types, and see who you like.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom