OK to sell chickens after Fowl Pox?

Darklingstorm

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Durant, Oklahoma
So my flock has apparently come down with fowl pox. I searched the web and found pictures of it and they look exactly like it.
I went to the vet today and told him what I had. Now this vet is the only one that will deal with chickens in this area but I wouldn't call him an expert either. He did know what I was talking about and said there was nothing to do but wait the disease out. I asked about a vaccine but he said no one carries it around here (which is true since I looked). He said he could give me antibiotics to help with any respiratory infection. I got the antibiotics because I did hear one girl sneezing but couldn't identify which one.
He gave me Tetrecyline powder and told me to give them 1 tsp per gallon of water daily, changing the water daily.

How long should I give the antibiotic?

I was planning on selling the whole flock this fall so I could prep for the new flock in spring, can I still sell them or will I have to just cull them?

I will not sell the bird till I know for sure they are safe and not contagious anymore. When do you think they will be safe to sell (if I can)? How can I be sure they aren't carriers?

Any advice would be very helpful and grateful.
caf.gif

Last edited:
The one hen that is sneezing, do you think it could be an environmental issue? Possibly she mightve inhaled feed dust, sneezing from soiled bedding, pollen etc... Respiratory diseases spread quickly through a flock, you'd see and hear other birds sneezing as well. Also there would be most likely nasal discharge, bubbly eyes, facial swelling, headshaking, gurgling, wheezing, rattling and so on. If it's environmental, I dont recommend giving antibiotics. Environmental issues can usually be corrected or eliminated. If you hear or see other respiratory symptoms, it would be best to cull the infected bird(s.) Respiratory diseases can easily spread from one bird to another, survivors are carriers. If it's a viral disease, antibiotics are useless. Antibiotics may treat symptoms, but never cure the disease. Blood testing or a necropsy on the bird would best, then you'd know what you're dealing with and can make a decision accordingly. Contact your state agriculture department or local extension office to find out how to go about this. Treating sick birds to make them look healthy and then selling them is unethical. More importantly it propagates the disease. If it turns out to be a respiratory disease, I applaude you for making the right decision to cull.

The antibiotics is to help in case the Fowl pox goes into their respiration.

The question I can't find an answer to is: Would it be safe to sell the chickens after the fowl pox has run it's course?

Back
Top Bottom