Okay, few more questions....

Those hygrometers have to be off. I've never seen condensation at 55%, heck, I don' usually have condensation at 70-75% Past that I do, a little. If you have condensation, you have plenty of humidity in there wether it's 55% or 75% and I wouldn't worry about trying to get it any higher.

I completely agree! You shouldn't have condensation unless 80+%, unless maybe there is a huge temperature difference between the inside of the bator and the room temperature its in, which I highly doubt!

I will take a pic today and post it... To show condensation... I hope that you are right and my little chicks are going to pop out soon! I believe that I am on day 18 on these serama eggs..I always forget how to count the chicken days...

I put them in the bator on the 6th....and I've read that they can hatch between day 19-20

I will take a pic today and post it... To show condensation... I hope that you are right and my little chicks are going to pop out soon! I believe that I am on day 18 on these serama eggs..I always forget how to count the chicken days...

I put them in the bator on the 6th....and I've read that they can hatch between day 19-20
Chickens average 21 days. Bantams are known to hatch a day or two early. If you set them on the 6th then this Friday, the 27th would be the expected hatch day. (You do NOT count the day that you set the eggs.) You should go into lockdown about day 18. (Today.) That's when you stop turning the eggs, up the humidity and leave them alone to hatch.

Three Different readings....
idunno.gif

The one I bought.. 55 and 102
The built in one 52 and 98.4
The bulb almost 100

My chicken brooder... it is getting lonely here! I need some babies to put inside!!

So... even with Serama eggs my hatch day would be the 27th?? I thought that I read they would hatch much sooner... did I put them in lockdown too early then??

I started yesterday...so day 17

Three Different readings....
idunno.gif

The one I bought.. 55 and 102
The built in one 52 and 98.4
The bulb almost 100

My chicken brooder... it is getting lonely here! I need some babies to put inside!!
Yeah, you have some pretty good condensation there. I wouldn't worry about humidity, but I would remove the plugs, the babies are going to need some good air circulation when they start pipping and hatching. The gages on the bator is probably off, they are known to be. As for the other hygrometer I would definitely test it after this hatch and see what the results are.

So... even with Serama eggs my hatch day would be the 27th?? I thought that I read they would hatch much sooner... did I put them in lockdown too early then??

I started yesterday...so day 17
Serama, if I am not mistaken are classified as a bantam breed. Which means it is highly possible that you will see them sooner. It is common for banties to hatch out day 19/20. You're fine with lockdown. Though most still do the lockdown at day 18 (unless they consistantly hae earlier hatches) day 17 isn't going to hurt anything. You should be good. Now you just have to wait for the action...lol

Note: It is common that they hatch earlier, but that doesn't mean they will. So if you don't see them earlier, don't get to upset until the 21 days have past.

Last edited:
I removed one of the plugs last night and in a matter of 15 minutes it dropped to 50... I got worried and put the plug back in... The other bator I have .. Hovabator- I have one plug in only and the humidity is running at 42-44 ...but then again.. who knows what it really is since I didn't calibrate that hygrometer either.
hide.gif
You think that I can wait to see the pips then pull one of the plugs.. or just pull it now and let the humidity drop??

A lot depends on temps too and when the little guys/girls are ready. My last hatch was standard eggs and they started pipping day 19 and over half were hatched on day 20 with the rest finishing up at day 21. That would signify my temps ran on the warm side.

I removed one of the plugs last night and in a matter of 15 minutes it dropped to 50... I got worried and put the plug back in... The other bator I have .. Hovabator- I have one plug in only and the humidity is running at 42-44 ...but then again.. who knows what it really is since I didn't calibrate that hygrometer either.
hide.gif
You think that I can wait to see the pips then pull one of the plugs.. or just pull it now and let the humidity drop??
Either way. With the condensation I don't think you have anything to worry about humidity wise. If it makes you feel better to wait until you see pips and you are there to monitor them frequently go ahead.

Back
Top Bottom