Okay, howzabout we help each other out... *UPDATED* See last post!!!!!

As I recall, when my hens layed their first eggs, they were somewhat shocked at themselves, and cackled a bit louder than usual. That was a give away. Well, that was about 5 yrs ago, so my mind may not be rembering right... Now I have a few months to wait for the little ones to get big enough to lay. I think mine are about 9 weeks...

Quote:
Lol, me too
lol.png

Quote:
Lol, me too
lol.png

Gosh, I know the feeling! Mine are 18 weeks, and no eggs yet. I'm blaming it on this ridiculous heat. I try not to say too much to them about the lack of egg production...don't want them to think I'm thinking of them just as egg machines!
tongue.png

yuckyuck.gif

I'm sorta hanging in here with you guys if that's ok. My life is about waiting right now - just put button quail eggs in the bator and I'm waiting on a gorgeous Blue Orp named Suede to (speckledhen's boy) to romance a few gals and get Cyn and I on the way to being grandma's!

cool.png

My new girls are only 10 weeks..so I got a while to wait.
roll.png
But I like just to sit and watch them free range to pass the days. I also like to play my violin outside and the girls do seem to like it. My 2 older hens come running when they hear me tunning it.
yippiechickie.gif
When I play they like to hang out around me and enjoy it.
pop.gif
and shake their heads on the high notes...
big_smile.png
My younger girls arn't too sure what to make of it yet....but will give the funniest look. Other then that it's gardening, and keeping my new car clean.
big_smile.png

I have only 4 standard Cochins. They will be 17 weeks this Sunday. I too look daily for eggs (none yet). Yesterday morning when I went to let them out of the coop I noticed the big blue roo was trying to mount one of the hens. She was havin none of it but it was comical to watch him. He would hop all around her trying to get on with one leg up in the air. I will keep looking.

Kim

Crazy4Daisy - I dreamt that mine laid their first egg last night too!!!
lol.png

Mine are only about 11 weeks old right now, so I have plenty of time to wait, but I'm getting anxious!

I have plenty to keep me busy in the meantime - I have learned to quilt, and have several Christmas presents to start working on. Keeping the house clean can keep me occupied all day long if I let it! And my pigs keep me entertained in the evenings once the temps cool down.

I'm really getting the bug to add to my flock - my original plan was to cull 1/2 of them this fall for meat, let the other 1/2 lay through the winter, then allow a couple of them to hatch their own in the spring, and start the process over. Reading everyone's posts about hatching eggs makes me want to let one or two of my girls hatch some this fall!!! I may need to start working on building an addition to the coop!

Quote:
So i know there is a topic just for this, but since so many here mentioned lurking i thought i would add a how i picked my user name. My very first time ever on a forum, was a local 'town politics' (sp) forum my mom told me to go read. The very first post i read was two bitty's complaining about lurkers. and i immediatly logged in as lurky. not a coincidence that my email is rebel
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom