Okay, hunters, dumb question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Q9, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Q9

Q9 General Headache

I've never hunted before. I would REALLY like to try my hand at it. Unfortunately, I do not have a high-caliber rifle, though my dad has a 12-gauge. Can anyone point me towards game that can be reliably brought down by a .22 long rifle? I had thought about turkey, since season begins soon, but was told a rifle was a bad idea for it. [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've never hunted before either, but my family has, and you hunt turkeys with shotguns - same for ducks and pheasant.

As for hunting with a .22...............a rabbit, maybe? (although Elmer Fudd used a shotgun [​IMG] )

3. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Rabbits and squirrels (and targets- haha) can be taken with a .22. Turkeys are very difficult to take...people use 12 ga. shotguns. I'm certainly no expert, but that's what I know from the hunters in my family. I've taken a turkey with a crossbow.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    First off, if you haven't attended hunter safety - gotta do it!

http://www.ncwildlife.org/hunting/H_Hunter_Ed_Course.htm

Second, need your license and rules. Your state site linked above will have that too.

Third, find a mentor. MANY hunters are more than happy to take a new hunter out hunting and even loan gear and guns. That's how I learned [​IMG]

I use a 12ga for turkey and waterfowl, a 20ga for upland fowl. I only use a rifle for deer and coyotes. A .22 is about good for rabbits and varmints, but if I'm actually out rabbit hunting, I use a 20ga. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

The FIRST thing you want to do....is READ your North Carolina hunting regulations.

You can get a copy at any place that sells hunting licenses, etc.

Once you read that...you will have a better idea WHAT it is you want.

No sense buying a firearm that you can't use.

6. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    [​IMG]

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:DH used to hunt grouse and pheasant with his .22

8. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:That's a given. [​IMG] I really don't want to run afoul of the law for any reason. [​IMG]

Personally, I WANT to try my hand at deer. The problem is, I don't exactly have enough cash to purchase a Remington 700 or a 30/30. The .22 my grandpa gave me is all I've got, and all I can afford ammo for. Once I get a job, that'll change, but until then...

Michickenwrangler - I like that idea. I think I've had pheasant before - pretty tasty as I recall.

9. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    If you hit it in the right spot, at the right distance, you could kill a deer with anything [​IMG] Where at in NC are you? [​IMG]

10. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:Davidson County. Why do you ask?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by