Okay,, I Have Some Questions..

cozycrestmom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Sorry guys,, But I 've heard and read so many different things.. It is hard to determine which is correct and which is not...
he.gif

So I would appreciate any advice that any of you can offer..
Now,, We are moving on to step three..lol.. Laying.... So I have a number of questions... We free range our little chickies,, No run,, not yet,, soon though,, but there is a ramp for them to get into there coop at will..

With 11 hens, I have 2 right now that have laid an egg... Is now a good time to start Layer feed..?

With 16% Layer feed... Is pellets better that crumbles or is it really just about the $$?

Layer feed should be non - medicated?

Is Oyster shells always a good thing to leave out for them now that they are starting to lay,, or is it something to give just when the shells appear soft.?

Do you mix the oyster shell with their food or leave it out free will..?

During the winter is there something else I should be leaving out for them free will because of the snow covered ground and no sand or dirt for them to peck at ? I have heard that Grit is the only thing..

I leave the food and water going 24/7 in their coop.. which we lock up at night and open up in the morning.. We have a covered bin that houses their food kept in the shed with the coop, just not in their coop. Is this a bad thing (ie rodents),

Whats up with the Apple Cider Vinager in the drinking water? Should I be putting some into their water?

Well.. I think that is it...
hide.gif

Hope I don't burn ya out !

"With 11 hens, I have 2 right now that have laid an egg... Is now a good time to start Layer feed..?"

You can change over at any time now. Just when ever you run out of feed.

"With 16% Layer feed... Is pellets better that crumbles or is it really just about the $$?"

There the same thing, just shape. Its just a matter of what you like. Pellets get wasted less.

"Layer feed should be non - medicated?"

Correct.

"Is Oyster shells always a good thing to leave out for them now that they are starting to lay,, or is it something to give just when the shells appear soft.?"

Not needed if your have good free range or feed good layer feed.

"Do you mix the oyster shell with their food or leave it out free will..?"

If you offer it then offer it separately, free choice.

"During the winter is there something else I should be leaving out for them free will because of the snow covered ground and no sand or dirt for them to peck at ? I have heard that Grit is the only thing.."

Not needed if have good free range or feed good layer feed.

"I leave the food and water going 24/7 in their coop.. which we lock up at night and open up in the morning.. We have a covered bin that houses their food kept in the shed with the coop, just not in their coop. Is this a bad thing (ie rodents),"

Hanging feeders help.

"Whats up with the Apple Cider Vinager in the drinking water? Should I be putting some into their water?"

Don't know what its for an have never did it.

Back
Top Bottom