Okay I need help! Please of course :)

Justin0621

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2017
So we bought baby chicks last night at Tractor Supply and we have had baby chicks multiple times. We have a chick that seems a little off. We got them last night and I haven’t seen her open her eyes at all. I just gave her some warm water with a little bit of honey. She was drinking that from a spoon. She would open her eyes briefly and then go back to closing them. I was thinking her eye get pecked. But also I feel like her legs are disproportionate. Can you guys tell me if she looks okay? They are Plymouth blue rocks.

Attachments

• 24DFDCD4-F32A-4802-9165-E22A78CAD257.jpeg
    24DFDCD4-F32A-4802-9165-E22A78CAD257.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 0E0F2F2A-F83A-4906-91ED-D8824988A7BF.jpeg
    0E0F2F2A-F83A-4906-91ED-D8824988A7BF.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 13
Keep giving the honey water. I got Nutridrench at TSC this is good stuff I would get it and give a drop to the chick... it drips out of the applicator so be aware of that.
She doesn't look great. There are a few posts on here about others with issues and ways to help.
I had gotten 6, all died, the 2 replacements are alive and well. I went back to my feed store I used to get chicks from last week. Their chicks are SOOO much more healthier and not one pasty butt. I now have 6 total (2 @ 2wks, 4 @ almost a week)

Keep giving the honey water. I got Nutridrench at TSC this is good stuff I would get it and give a drop to the chick... it drips out of the applicator so be aware of that.
She doesn't look great. There are a few posts on here about others with issues and ways to help.
I had gotten 6, all died, the 2 replacements are alive and well. I went back to my feed store I used to get chicks from last week. Their chicks are SOOO much more healthier and not one pasty butt. I now have 6 total (2 @ 2wks, 4 @ almost a week)
I don’t understand it. Even the workers say that the chicks come vaccinated.

May not be sick may just be stress from all the movement and different environments. I picked up a duckling yesterday that was left over from the week no one wanted it acted the same way as that chick is doing. It died last night. No physical signs of anything I think some just come generally poor and can't handle the stress.

All you can really do is provide the extra nutritional support that you are giving to help her overcome the stress of being shipped. Put a drop of Poultry Nutri-drench in with the honey water and continue to encourage her to drink regularly, at least hourly, and make sure she is warm.
It's been my experience that the weaker chicks ultimately do not survive the stress of being shipped. Rarely, they will snap back.

Back
Top Bottom