Okay, seriously, when is this site going to slow down!?!?!?!?!

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
I've owned BYC for 18 months now and I've gotten use to a bit of seasonality. You know, people get chicks during the spring so you expect a bit of a spike during March and April and then some tapering off at the end of May. Well, we're a week into June and we're still adding about 50 people EVERY DAY to our BYC family!

Don't get me wrong, I love it. If it were up to me everyone would have at least 3 hens in their backyards (I try to talk everyone I know into getting chickens). But that said, I mean, come on... where are all these chicken people coming from?
wink.png

A huge thanks to the great BYC community and wonderful BYC moderators that make this the best chicken forum (heck, I'll say best FORUM) on the internet.

thumbsup.gif

oh, BTW, you people are REALLY chatty too! We're adding 3,100 new posts every DAY! That is more than a post every 30 seconds of every day!
th.gif

If it were up to me everyone would have at least 3 hens in their backyards (I try to talk everyone I know into getting chickens).

Anytime I go to a friends house I can't help but think about how many chickens they would have room for! I try to tell them they should have a couple, but no one has listened to me yet! ha ha​

Thank you for this site! I found it a few hours ago and have made 13 postings and have identified two of my "mystery" chicks. This is great!

Rob,

I hatch 'em out and try to get everyone I know to take a few;)

Thanks for the great place to take chickens. My mom was in the hospital ICU for 2 weeks and I tried to talk everyone there into chickens. I even took eggs to the nurses. I was haven't major withdrawls from this website.

jackie

this site rocks!!! I just found it earlier this week and love it already! Oh, and probably part of the reason for the increase is that Google has you on their search engine. I forget exactly what I typed, but that's how I found you all!
smile.png

If any of you know me at all you know I'm pretty crazy at analytics and data mining. I'm keeping close tabs on where visitors come from, what they searched for to find the forum and recently I installed a script that helps me see how many people sign up on the forum and where they came from. For example, which of the different search engines sent the most people who signed up? Which links from other sites (for example, we've had about 60 people sign up coming over from our sister site www.TheEasyGarden.com) sent over the most new BYC family members?

I've also been wondering what percentage of people signing up are either:

1) People who are internet savvy and have had chickens for a while, but just recently discovered BYC.

or

2) People who are internet savvy but are just getting chickens for the first time.

Why is this question important? My theory:

If the majority of people over the last few months are in camp #1, then the good news is that we'll keep growing pretty consistently. Bad news: but over the next few years we can expect the average number of annual signups to stay the same or maybe even decline.

If most people are from #2 then the bad news is that when fall and winter hit and less people are getting chickens for the first time, the daily signups will fall dramatically. The good news is that the number of annual signups should increase from year to year.

Okay, did that make any sense? It is late and I've been looking at statistics for the last few hours, so maybe I need to go to bed and reset my brain.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom