Okay to keep chickens while pregnant?

Pug Momma

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Auburn, WA
I'm getting conflicting stories about this.
Is it safe to keep adult chickens when you or a loved one is pregnant?
Thanks, all!

Birds don't get pregnant.
gig.gif

They lay eggs that when incubated for 21 days at 100degs a baby chick develops inside the egg..
Yes you can eat fertile eggs before they are incubated, you can't tell them apart from infertile eggs.
You need a rooster for the hens to lay fertile eggs.

read this link.
http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/avianreproduction.html

Last edited:
agree, that was a funny answer!

There are no problems I am aware of associated with keeping chickens while you are pregnant. Certainly hand washing and other infection control measures are always appropriate.
But if they have linked anything specific to chickens such as there is with handling cat litter I haven't heard it.

Quote:
Dude. Yeah, I know. I've had a flock for a while now.
I've heard that salmonella is a concern for people with compromised immune systems and pregnant ladies. So I was soliciting advice from people who have kept chickens while they are pregnant.
But thanks for the, uh, chicken sex-lesson.

If that was a concern, someone should have told my mama......before she had nine kids! We had chickens all that time, off and on, so I'm sure its okay. Only a few of the girls turned out with chicken legs!
lol.png

I see that I miss read that, oh well.
lol.png
I might have been in the sun to long. I am sure that the above will answer some newbe's question in a search.

I see no problem with having chickens while pregnant, there are very few problems that chickens can transfer to humans. Just wash your hands after handling them and you should be fine.

Last edited:
I think handling chickens while pregnant is just like any other animal, or farm animal. Wash your hands a lot and practice good sanatation. maybe not cleaning out the chicken house, leave that up to someone else. there are risks for everything this day and age.... everyday things in your house are dangerous....
way back when women took care of chickens while they had 12+ kids!!!

When I was pregnant in Apr/May my doc said that it was fine to be around the chickens, taking care of them, petting them, getting eggs etc as long as I washed my hands thoroughly afterwards. I couldn't clean the coop or anything but all else was fine.

When I was pregnant I told my dh I couldn't clean up cat or dog poop
tongue.png
Not sure if it's true but it got me out of poop scoop duty

Back
Top Bottom