Okay what kind of geese are these

cchaeuser

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 20, 2007
The guy that I bought them from says that they are 3 white embdens and a toulouse. The brown (toulouse???) has dark orange feet and a black bill. The embdens??? have spotted orange bills and are gray and white. Check out the pics. You can see the brown goose on the left and the bills as well.

100_1552.jpg

100_1551.jpg

100_1550.jpg

Sorry no help here - but I did want to say that first picture made me chuckle OUT LOUD!

I'm no expert on geese, but I just wanted to say that it may take a while to know for sure what they are since they haven't moulted into their adult plumage yet. I know with ducks it can change quite a bit.
They're very cute though, whatever they are!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
They could be so called Grey Toulouse...they are a production breed, I guess similar to sex-link chickens. They aren't like the true Dewlap Toulouse as they are lacking in the dewlap and the size.
smile.png
And it's impossible to find Dewlap Toulouse....I've been trying to find some for a year!!!!!

Sand Hill Preservation Center description: Gray: Large gray goose suitable for commercial production. Some sources call these the Grey Toulouse.

They certainly do not look like embdens and I don't know of a breed with those spots on the bill. It looks more like an ailment to me. I would do a little research on diseases and problems common or uncommon( I can't seem to find anything in the one book that I have) with geese and maybe have them checked out. Also, as far as I know, toulouse do not have dark bills. That looks like an african to me.

Last edited:
They look to be African/Embden crosses. I checked with feather site and they show that Africans have that black beak and line down the back of the neck. Toulouse have yellow beaks and feet. I have a Toulouse male and two embden girls so this guy sold you cross breeds... What did you pay for those. I may want to up my price on my crosses.

Arklady

I believe the 3 are crosses of some kind. They are most certainly NOT Embdens! Embdens are white with nice orange bills and feet. Also, the "spots" on their bills...I've never seen a goose with them. Is it dirt that you can scrape off? Or is it 'part' of the bill? Maybe if they are a embden/african cross the spots are from the different colored bills of the two species? Africans have dark bills and feet. Toulouse have light bills and feet. Because of the darker feathers mixed in with their wings, I would say they are embden/african crosses, which would explain the bill spots (maybe?) and the feather color which is throwing us all off!
wink.png
Oh, the bill spots....if they seem 'indented' or like some kind of growth, please get your babies medication to treat it before it spreads to your other fowl.

I would think your "Toulouse" is also a cross, because they should have a light or orange bill AND feet.

Either way, pure or mixed, they are cute as buttons! I love geese!

Thanks for all of your input. I am now convinced that they are mutts of some type. Probably close to the mark with the African/Embden cross theory. The marks on the bills are in color only. No worries from a health stand point. Hey, what did I expect for 18 bucks for the four of them.

They are great geese, good personalities and very interesting to observe. Thanks all.

I had a pair of African/Embden crosses. They were perfectly white with small patches here and there of like black and grey. I can't remember what they looked like at the age yours are right now but they will change once their full feathers come in. I do not think they had spots on their beaks either. They were excellent watchdogs and the male was VERY protective of the female. He could be quite nasty and she was very friendly. I raised them from little chicks too.
They patrolled my property like two guard dogs!

Back
Top Bottom