***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Braved the cold, went out to check on the seedlings. It is 62 degrees in my hoop house. All is warm & snug! I have row cover - set up like a pup tent over the whole seedling shelves & a small space heater under the shelves. I lightly misted the plants, but was scared to water too heavy since I don't want them to get a chill. I will spray them down again in a couple of hours.

Yesterday hey had a short session on those who were able to grow tomatoes last yr in the heat. Overall the ones who had afternoon shade on their tomatoes & those who grew bush type varieties -- that we're in the ground the 1st wk in April. Bush type have lots of extra shade so that is why they were successful. I personally love bush types since they don't grow 8ft tall & need loads of staking.

DH finally has the whole house generator up & running. He insisted we turned on every electrical thing we owned to make sure the generator would support it. Over all I think the only downside is the generator is on the exterior wall that is directly behind my head when I am sleeping. So when a power outage occurs I may have to sleep in one of the kids rooms!

In about 6 wks I will start organizing a have & want list for poops-- so everyone start thinking of what you will want to buy & trade & what you will bring to buy or trade. Going to help DD clean some waterers & measure the library card box I bought to see where it will fit. DH was not impressed with it. I am certain it has to be better to put seeds in their than in shoe boxes. I know lots of people keep their seeds in the freezer-- but I dn have a whole shelf of freezer space to give up!

Nana glad you have good neighbors that notice when something is wrong!

2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    RetiredArmyWife, I don't even *have nest boxes. I was going to put some in but I have a hard enough time keeping some of them from sitting on their eggs in the corner they lay them in. I'd never get them off the spot if they had actual nesting boxes. The hens in the laying yard all pick the same exact corner to lay in, I don't know why but it works for me. There's 16 hens in that yard and they all lay in the same spot.

3. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    NanaKat~ Thanks for the tater advice. My uncle gave the same advice when I saw him today unexpectedly.

POCO~ There are message boards for Bee's too. I have been reading alot but have put that on hold for alittle while. I will pick it back up later. I still need to get my second coat on my hive & put up my fence for the area I plan to keep them.

Thanks for explaining Heritage RIR.

It is too cold outside for me.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    THANKS!! I was really starting to worry he was getting no help...:)

5. mefordz

mefordz Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    wagoner okla

mitzi, tell channing he has nothing to worry about. the little ones are the ones that will hurt you!

my frito bandito dog eats coleslaw, you talk about gas![​IMG]

he is keeping my lap warm right now, waiting on me to go take a nap.[​IMG]

i dont do well in the heat with my copd, and dont do well in the cold cause of everything else.[​IMG]

6. mefordz

Dec 25, 2008
    wagoner okla

uhhhhhh, sooner i dont think you can fence the bee's in, unless you use real small wire.[​IMG]
    and i think a fence might defeat the purpose of haveing the bee's![​IMG]

to cold outside for anything but penguins!!!!!!!

7. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Yeah, yeah blame it on the dog. [​IMG]

8. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma

9. mefordz

Dec 25, 2008
    wagoner okla

thats my story and i'm stickin to it!

10. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    LOL, the fence it to keep the horses from getting too close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by