***OKIES in the BYC III ***

More egg danger in the news. More than 3 egg yolks a wk is as bad for your heart as smoking. Says causes plaque build up???? How do we ever make it eating all the dangerous foods we have on our farm???
Also more west Nile news. Thankful we don't have mosquitos here. Think in 2 yrs I have seen less than a dz.

Congrats to those who had rain. We had some rain here, but doesn't look like much. Imagine I still need to water the garden. We did have some major wind blowing up all the sand today, and even with the cool afternoon temps the dogs still are thinking the need to be inside. Guess we let them inside too much this summer. Going to be a challenge to retrain them.
Dinner is leftovers then I want to crawl into bed early tonight.

I wouldn't worry too much about how many eggs you eat. Some people's bodies don't produce enough cholesterol no matter what they eat and other people produce too much even if they watch their diets closely. Genetics has more to do with health than almost anything else ... with exceptions of course (drug use, being one). My grandfather ate two fried eggs with bacon and toast with butter and orange marmalade for breakfast every single morning of his adult life and ate a bologna and peanut butter sandwich on white bread with potato chips for lunch almost every day for the last twenty years or so and never had heart problems at all. AND he smoked a pack a day from the time he was 9 years old. He lived to be 86. He died because he fell on the ice and cracked a rib which tore a blood vessel and he bled to death internally without ever knowing. Go figure.

West Nile is a little more scary but mainly for older and younger folks with compromised immune systems. A lot of people have had West Nile without ever knowing it because most cases are very mild and appear to be a cold or allergies. It usually doesn't last longer than three days and most people never need any medical attention with it at all. Pneumonia and the flu are more dangerous.

It's like all the hype about lead poisoning in children in older homes. But what they don't tell you is that milk washes any lead that's been consumed out of the body without allowing it be absorbed. So if you live in an older home and your kid's been chewing on the paint, take them for ice cream every night (they'll love you forever) and make them eat cereal with milk for breakfast and you're good to go.

These are better..taken today of both of the Blue Columbian Wyandotte pullets. One looks more plump than the other. The smaller one has not started ot lay and is about 5 weeks younger.

This first one is an F! cros between the CW roo Beau and Delilah, the Blue Cochin hen.

The Blue CW pullet/hen

The younger girl with Beau

Both girls were a little camera shy and wanted to stay in the shade.

These are better..taken today of both of the Blue Columbian Wyandotte pullets. One looks more plump than the other. The smaller one has not started ot lay and is about 5 weeks younger.

This first one is an F! cros between the CW roo Beau and Delilah, the Blue Cochin hen.

The Blue CW pullet/hen

The younger girl with Beau

Both girls were a little camera shy and wanted to stay in the shade.
They are all looking very good, cochins and dottes go together very well, very similar body, feather, head structure. of course the wyandotte is about 1/3 cochin from its original breeding anyway.
Beau looks better everytime I see him very impressed with the care you give him.

Nana-- NNbreader is the one who shared the molasses tip with me, but I don't remember how much. I put a tube down the chicken & used a syringe for the molasses.

I am not concerned about eggs causing heart problems, was shocked to hear the new egg danger on channel 9.

Chickens don't mind dry grass. They will still scratch around & find their favorite treats.

Quote:
Here's a couple links on botulism:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/173411/chicken-botulism
I never realized it could come from maggots until I read up on it last summer when my birds got sick (not from that, I don't think).
Nana, those birds are beautiful!
Thank you for the quick response and the links. Gotta get this little girl better quick..she is a sweetie.
Quote: Thank you, I'm really pleased with the flock. And I respect your opinion and eye for conformation.

This is one of my Birchen Bantam Ameraucana boys, I just love this little guy. He's got a cross beak that started crossing a few wks ago. By today it was actually all the way crossed and I'm kicking myself for not getting "before" pictures. My husband got me a little tiny rotary tool (dremel tool) with tons of attachments the other day. I wanted to see how it would work on this little guy's crossbeak. I'm hoping by starting soon enough keeping it trimmed that maybe he won't get deformed looking and have trouble eating. He looks close to normal in these pictures, I can't believe what a difference a tiny trim made! I was really careful and kept touching and stopping. The part that actually took the longest was trying to figure out exactly where to shave on his beak to get it right. He was so good and he looks so nice, you can't even really tell now that it was crossed-amazing. I hope this works to spend 30 seconds trimming every 3-4 wks. You can barely see in the 2nd picture where there was a drop of blood, I stopped quick enough that it didn't even bleed.
If anyone's interested I've got another boy identical to this one with a normal beak who I'd love to find a good home for. They're 2 mo old now.

you did a good job on him mitzi! can hardly tell...

looks like the rain missed us again...
barnie.gif

ok, gender check.... dominique - he/she sure is starting to look suspiciously cockerel?

this other one is from jewels hatch, ee mix, am pretty sure a pullet??

Thanks Kass, sad to see the other brown one is, such a pretty thing- i started getting suspicious of the dom, when he started chasing down a fav pullet tonite, she had gotten loose and poor thing got chased all over the coop...

nana- here is what i have on botuslism, maybe it will help- from Natalie Ross, she used to be on byc alot..

Quote: Three horses- Flush for botulism

Then you need to do a flush please. Do you have molasses or epsom salts?

I like the molasses flush personally. But either will work and is necessary either for extreme mold mycotoxins or botulism; same treatment, different followup that can be done for both.
---------- from MSUCares -----------------
Molasses Solution

Add one pint of molasses to 5 gallons of water

Offer the drinking solution free-choice to the affected birds for about four hours. Treat severely affected birds individually if they cannot drink. Return the birds to regular water after the treatment period.

- or -

If the birds are not eating, use the water solution. If the birds are unable to eat or drink by themselves, use individual treatment with:

1 teaspoon of Epsom Salt in 1 fl oz water

Place the solution in the crop of the affected bird. This same amount of solution will treat 5-8 quail or one chicken.
--------------------------------------------------

On molasses, 1 pint = 16 ounces (or we'll say 15 ounces)

divide that by 5 you'll have just over 3 ounces per 1 gallon of water.
30 cc's = one ounce, so 90 cc's = 3 ounces.
Divide that by four, and you'll get 22 cc's per quart waterer.

1 ounce = 6 teaspoons; thus 3 ounces = 18 teaspoons; since we said a little more than 3 ounces, if we round up to 20 teaspoons it's 20 teaspoons/1 gallon.

4 quarts to the gallon means 5 teaspoons molasses per quart of water.

Do this for four hours - she must get the water as her only source of water. Adding some electrolytes to it doesn't hurt, or you can give her electrolyte water afterwards. I mix some yogurt in the water to replace good bacteria as well.

You must flush out the toxins to heal her. I like the molasses as it's more mild. After the flush, you have to replace her electrolytes to heal her and the yogurt in the water helps. Tomorrow try to get her to eat dampened crumbles with yogurt, some polyvisol vitamins as mold toxins deplete oil vitamins. (3 drops in the beak, the Polyvisol baby vitamin without iron from the vitamin section of drug stores, oddly not the baby section).

Clean up all her droppings in case it's botulism, though more likely it's from soured food.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom