***OKIES in the BYC III ***

More egg danger in the news. More than 3 egg yolks a wk is as bad for your heart as smoking. Says causes plaque build up???? How do we ever make it eating all the dangerous foods we have on our farm???
Also more west Nile news. Thankful we don't have mosquitos here. Think in 2 yrs I have seen less than a dz.

Congrats to those who had rain. We had some rain here, but doesn't look like much. Imagine I still need to water the garden. We did have some major wind blowing up all the sand today, and even with the cool afternoon temps the dogs still are thinking the need to be inside. Guess we let them inside too much this summer. Going to be a challenge to retrain them.
Dinner is leftovers then I want to crawl into bed early tonight.

More egg danger in the news. More than 3 egg yolks a wk is as bad for your heart as smoking. Says causes plaque build up???? How do we ever make it eating all the dangerous foods we have on our farm???
Also more west Nile news. Thankful we don't have mosquitos here. Think in 2 yrs I have seen less than a dz.

Congrats to those who had rain. We had some rain here, but doesn't look like much. Imagine I still need to water the garden. We did have some major wind blowing up all the sand today, and even with the cool afternoon temps the dogs still are thinking the need to be inside. Guess we let them inside too much this summer. Going to be a challenge to retrain them.
Dinner is leftovers then I want to crawl into bed early tonight.
Christina, that's what they used to think but they know better now although the media and even lots of doctors are still 15 yrs behind the research. They've found that the dietary cholesterolin eggs is actually *good* for you. It's the saturated fats that cause plaque build-up. They used to think that high cholesterol is what caused heart disease but they were so wrong. 1/2 the people who have heart attacks have high cholesterol and 1/2 have low cholesterol. My dad had lots of heart surgeries and heart problems since he was in his late 40's until he died 2 yrs ago so that kind of stuff is interesting (and scary) to me. Although I do hate it when the media-and even doctors themselves-get the information wrong and start blaming eggs. The doctors who keep up to date on those studies know better. Although really-how many doctors actually *do keep up to date? Not many.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying a little rain today..we got a shower.
Michael...this is what those birds look like...looks like most are roos. Will separate all into a sale pen and have a better count. this evening....they are all out free-ranging right now. Some look blue and some are black

Lets get a good close-up of that Blue Columbian Wyandotte pullet in the background.. But don't let steph see her...

Here's just one article about the whole "egg and smoking" thing.
They can't take away my eggs lol! I went years and years without eating a single egg until I read all the new research less than a year ago. I didn't start eating eggs again until after I got my chickens 14 months ago.
http://www.shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-coach/eating-eggs-bad-smoking

Edit:
Just found a better one! Good thing, too, because I just had my daily 3 eggs.
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-eggs.html

Last edited:
Anyone know the symptoms of botulism in chickens? Does it show in curled toes ?
I've pulled a bantam Buff Columbian pullet and have her isolated. Started her on oral antibiotics and Polyvisol vitamins. She has a healthy weight, has an appetite and drinks water .
I read that giving a bird molasses helps to clear the gut.
How much and can it be mixed in water?

Nana-- NNbreader is the one who shared the molasses tip with me, but I don't remember how much. I put a tube down the chicken & used a syringe for the molasses.

I am not concerned about eggs causing heart problems, was shocked to hear the new egg danger on channel 9.

Chickens don't mind dry grass. They will still scratch around & find their favorite treats.

Anyone know the symptoms of botulism in chickens? Does it show in curled toes ?
I've pulled a bantam Buff Columbian pullet and have her isolated. Started her on oral antibiotics and Polyvisol vitamins. She has a healthy weight, has an appetite and drinks water .
I read that giving a bird molasses helps to clear the gut.
How much and can it be mixed in water?
I use the 747 at the feed store 1 gallon to 150lbs of feed, sweet grain also works well, or mollasses in the water 1 oz per gallon

Back
Top Bottom