***OKIES in the BYC III ***

McG sorry!!!! Hopefully joe has another or some eggs. I don't think Joe ever has a bird shortage, if he can't help then he can point you in the right direction I imagine.

Anyone ever roasted watermelon seeds. Kinda late now, but I have to eat mostly high protien foods after surgery. Google results brought up watermelon seeds. We had hundreds of melons this summer. Wonder if I missed something great not roasting seeds???
Off to bed early been a long day. Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

So sorry to hear this. I remember how excited you were to share with us about Charlotte. Why is it that we seem to lose our favorites.

I do not know. Seriously. I tried so hard to protect the bantams. Even moved them into the solid barn for winter so they wouldn't get drafty north winds and so they'd be safe from predators. There's still tons of ventilation in there, so it's not like it's dank and germy. They have 200 sq. ft. for two LF pullets and five bantams, and three LF chicks.

Sad day here. I went out to take care of the bantams and my beautiful Charlotte was dead. I have no idea what happened. Nothing got in their pen. There were no injuries. Not a feather out of place. No one has acted sick. No sneezing. No one off their feed. Everyone just scratching around and peeping and running around doing chicken stuff. She was fine yesterday. She was dead today. I smelled her and she smelled sweet and fresh like pine shavings. She was just stone cold dead. I buried her under the peach tree she loved. And I cried my eyes out. She was my favorite chicken. I got her from Banjoejoe at NEOCS and frankly, she's the reason I went to NEOCS. I said "Imma bid on me a blue frizzled cochin bantam pullet and I don't care if I have to pay $50, I'm bringin' her home." And now she's gone. I didn't even get any eggs hatched from her.
hit.gif

AWWW! I am sorry! I have had that happen a couple times recently, the only thing i have been able to come up with, like Ruth, my serama, is a heart issue- she knew you cherished her and that is so important to remember!

Nana- i just love that story! what a sweet pic!

Christine- i have never heard of watermellon seeds, but we do pumpkin seeds, sprinkled with garlic and toasted-

had to share my faverolle cockerel, he doesn't know he is a cockerel yet- still acts like a pullet, he usually doesn't like being held but decided to relax in my lap

Last edited:
Hey Kassandra here are pics of the Beautiful Key West Gypsy Rooster I was writing to Coral about!!! They are a Feral breed of chickens found in Key West Florida running free all over the place, Most likely most of them are descendants of Gamecocks that were for sport that bred with local chickens, I think they are gorgeous, I have a friend that has some of them in the blue colors, you can adopt these chickens also!!! Lynn
LL

d5a0ff20_2011-12-15_15-04-22_80.jpeg

LL

LL

Quote:
We used Gus or Gussy because it has a lot of gusto! We already have a lucky ... that was the only other chick we've hatched from our bator last spring. It's doing well so far, eating and drinking already on it's own. We gave it a stuffed dog for company and it lays it's head on one of the paws but it would still rather be under my chin. Sigh. I just don't make a good substitute for a momma chicken.

Okay here is a story I would not have believed If I had not seen it and I luckily had my camera to take pictures for another breed thread.

Delilah lost her 5 week old black chick earlier today. Red brought it's dead little body to me earlier this afternoon. Delilah would have nothing to do with her remaining CW chick and it was chirping for it's mom.
The chick tried to join Annabelle and her chicks but got no encouragement from Annabelle.
Sweet Sally who has never been broody decided the chick was to be hers.
So here are the photos to prove it
The chick calling for Mom obviously getting cold with the drawing evening. Sally is the hen off to the right.

Sweet Sally calls the chick by clucking to it

Then she encourages it to come closer even trying to rake it under her like an egg.

She opens her wings for the chick cooing continuously in encouragement

The chick is under her now, she fluffs up and settles in and Sweet Sally is one happy foster mom

She did this several times in 15 minutes and growled at other hens that came around her. She called the chick to follow her into the hen house. She got up in the nest box, but the chick couldn't follow her. She called and cooed and the chick chirped in response. I picked it up and held it at the opening of the nest cubby. Sweet Sally cooed the baby in under her and I left both purring to each other. They are bonding nicely.
I'll check on them a little later and if need be will move the pair into a box in a floor pen.

Here is Annabelle with her three chicks getting settled for the evening. Her chicks are 4 weeks old now.

Never knew that a hen would adopt another hen's chicks without ever being broody....Gotta love her!
love.gif
I needed a good story like that tonight.

Erin I use a wet cloth to take off any sticky or gooey parts. Then put birds back in the hatcher to dry & fluff.
Helped a friend catch an insane amount of ducks tonight & delivered them to Mike. We still have more to catch. Anyone with Muscovies be very careful. They multiply before your eyes!! Went from a flock of 15 to 70+ in a season. That never happens with chickens does it???
Will miss yall over the next few wks, I found out this afternoon I must have the left lobe of my liver removed. Think I should have an official date tomorrow, doctor said can't wait & needs to be out before Thanksgiving. 7-10 day hospital stay & long recovery. Have to work out all the details of kids, food & animals over the next few days. Offered to send the kids to family but DH wants them to stay here. So I am going to try & rotate through friends & family that are willing to stay here & watch over the kids & animals. Need to make a daily must do list so no birds goats or dogs get left out. Right now I think planning for the surgery is the worse part, but I am sure I will change my mind soon! I will check in when I can & keep y'all updated.
Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom