***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Cooling down from garden work and there is a documentary on about alligator catchers in FL. Seems some of them get in the water and swim with them w/ a noose in thier hands to lasso the gater while under water with it, and I thought Okie noodlers were crazy!!!!!!!

Cooling down from garden work and there is a documentary on about alligator catchers in FL. Seems some of them get in the water and swim with them w/ a noose in thier hands to lasso the gater while under water with it, and I thought Okie noodlers were crazy!!!!!!!
And I think they call it suicide by lizard...

SpunkyChickenMomma...is the White crested Blue Polish also a naked neck?

Hubby came in about 4 pm while I was making jelly and said "Where did you get the Guineas?". Of course, I had to stop what I was doing to go see if he was teasing me. No, there are three young Guineas in the lot with the chickens that are out free-ranging. They look healthy and are tame. Since we are the only folks on our mile section with chickens, the boys speculate that someone just dumped them on us. None of our neighbors behind us or to the east or west have guineas either. Two are either pearl or lavender and one is a dark purple with loads of speckles....they may all be boys. It has been yers since I've had Guineas so I'll have to study them a bit. They are in quarantine right now.

Last edited:
And I think they call it suicide by lizard...

SpunkyChickenMomma...is the White crested Blue Polish also a naked neck?

Hubby came in about 4 pm while I was making jelly and said "Where did you get the Guineas?". Of course, I had to stop what I was doing to go see if he was teasing me. No, there are three young Guineas in the lot with the chickens that are out free-ranging. They look healthy and are tame. Since we are the only folks on our mile section with chickens, the boys speculate that someone just dumped them on us. None of our neighbors behind us or to the east or west have guineas either. Two are either pearl or lavender and one is a dark purple with loads of speckles....they may all be boys. It has been yers since I've had Guineas so I'll have to study them a bit. They are in quarantine right now.
yuckyuck.gif

I have a pullet with Marek's. I don't know how to euthanize. Got no ax or gun. I'm very sad about this. Not sure i can even put her down myself.ideas? Volunteers?

Are you sure it's Marek's? Unless you recently brought new birds in it would be highly unlikely in my opinion.

If the bird really needs to be put down, if it's fairly small the quickest most painless way is to snip it's neck with kitchen shears. Icky but humane. Sometimes if I have 5-10 male chicks to put down (I can't bring myself to snip THAT MANY at once) I put a glass in an ice cream bucket and add baking soda and vinegar to the glass then close the ice cream bucket up quick. Sometimes I have to add a little more vinegar after about 6 minutes. It creates carbon dioxide, basically puts them "to sleep."

Back
Top Bottom