***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote: I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

@SonRise Silkies I really hope you get a reply and find what you are looking for.

The silkies are my daughter's 4H projects. I got them intending to show. They need baths abd a little feather tlc because they were both in a larger flock.

The OEG was unexpected. (help the chicken math is already starting.) I would like to try to show him. but I have to dubb his comb and I am too inexperienced to do that. I do not know who to ask to help.

I am gojng to get 6 hens for layers. Technically with 6 hens and these 3 we are over city ordinances.... but if we keep everything clean and odor free I think we will be ok. The neighbor next door really enjoyed the chickens last summer.
I forgot to tell you what the girls named them.

OEG rooster is Dr. Who. The Silkie Hen is Fiana. the Silkie rooster is Mr. Magorium. lol.

Have a blessed day.
My Granddaughter loves silkies, I have one blue roo (Mr Cat) Granddaughter named him that because that's what she thinks they feel like I believe the black silkie I picked up at auction is a hen so I am sure her name will be Mrs Cat.

Hotcurltr-OSU vet hospital will see her. Ask for the Exotics dept.

Rinda, I'm sorry about your girl. She had someone who cares about her and kept her sheltered and fed. You did what you could and if birds could talk she'd tell you that's more than most chickens get to have.

@hotcurltr Unless there's nerve damage, I don't see why she wouldn't get over the tortcullis. Tortcullis is basically muscular cramping which is typically caused by nutritional deficiencies or disease. I suppose disease could cause a permanent electrolyte imbalance in the nerve fibers, or maybe damage to the myelin sheath, but in the absence of that she should get over the cramps once the disease passes and the underlying cause of the tortcullis is treated.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Birds weren't my field of study in anatomy. Today I kind of wish they were.

@hotcurltr Unless there's nerve damage, I don't see why she wouldn't get over the tortcullis. Tortcullis is basically muscular cramping which is typically caused by nutritional deficiencies or disease. I suppose disease could cause a permanent electrolyte imbalance in the nerve fibers, or maybe damage to the myelin sheath, but in the absence of that she should get over the cramps once the disease passes and the underlying cause of the tortcullis is treated.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Birds weren't my field of study in anatomy. Today I kind of wish they were.
Thank you so much. I knew what torti is, I just don't know about birds. I called Texas Aand M. They were really nice and said they would have one of the exotic animal vets call me back. So far I haven't gotten a call. But I want u to know how much better I feel after your post. It is very painful and heart wrentcing(sp)to watch her. She seems to be resting better now since we started the DMSOMy keyboard is messed up so sorry if this is hard to read. I didn't know about the cramps causing it though. Glenn and I were hoping she doesn't have permenant damage, but if you get DMSO started soon enough it can reduce a lot of the swelling in the brain.

doesn't certain types of oil help myelin damage? I've forgotten most of what I learned it seems, l guess old age.
old.gif
I hope your heart is healing over Dorcus. I'll bet he's got lots of friends he's playing with but is missing u too.

Well, I didn't tell you guys this, but two weeks ago, my silkie hen, Isabelle, eggbound while I was at work. When I got home, she was dead in the nest box. Today I am just really missing her.
sad.png
She was the loudest of any of our chickens, and I miss listening to her griping in the coop.
Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
I just hate that everyone seems to be having a hard time right now. I'm trying to keep my faith. I don't know how atheists make it with nothing to hold on to. If you need another pullet, I'll give you one. I just don't have silkies PM me if you want one of my pullets. They're healthy and vacinnated.

Can you give geese antibiotics? If she were a chicken i'd put her on albon- for bacterial and cocci
Yes geese can have antibiotics. What is albon. I'm not familiar with it . Are u saying the albon for both bacterial and cocci or are u daying corid. Told u I'm not the brightest crayon in the box

Hotcurltr-OSU vet hospital will see her. Ask for the Exotics dept.

Rinda, I'm sorry about your girl. She had someone who cares about her and kept her sheltered and fed. You did what you could and if birds could talk she'd tell you that's more than most chickens get to have.
Thanks for theinfo. I've talked to Dr. Herrin several times and he never mentioned it. He's the one that gave me some numbers to avian vets, but I could never get past the receptionist to even ask questions once they found ou it was a goose, I can't afford emergency fees, so I'll have to wait until regular hours tom and I'll call if she'sstill with us tomm.

Quote: Thanks... Everyone is having a hard time, losing birds, an all.
sad.png
I just wish I could have been there for her. If only...

Quote: I don't know, either. As a Baptist Christian (or at least one who tries to be!), I am a firm believer in Christ. You are so sweet to offer that, but I think I will wait on it. I might be getting some spring chicks, and I'm not yet prepared to take in a new bird just yet.

Back
Top Bottom