***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Last night I was going to let my Cochin stay her first night in the coop since she and the girls were doing so good together. When I checked on her later on she had some nasty bloody pecks all over her comb and some on her neck from my darn cockerel. So... anyone know a reasonable price I should sell my Lav Orp 6 mo old? He's just too much for the girls to put up with and this was the straw that broke the camels back. He's big enough for freezer camp but I don't have the heart. Hes going to be a big beautiful boy!
your poor girl, yes, young roos can be hard on the girls- spray her with bluekote, is she getting along with the hens ?

Quote: have seen that and frogs, but on one side they are cute and fuzzy, but these cute fuzzies have chewed through sparkplug wires twice! a total of 40 chickens of various size racing around for goodies... sheesh!

We lost a Baked Neck last night. I guess the run wasn't latched right and something tried to grab it through the fence. I found it halfway under dead. They didn't get the snack. I'm worried now that whatever it was (raccoon?) might keep coming back now that they know chickens are here. We are setting traps. Has anybody tried this chicken lights that are red? They're supposed to deter predators at night.

I don't think the red lights would work or we would all have them. Any lights at all would deter them, but only a secure coop or a good dog will keep them out. I'm pretty convinced the only reason I haven't had to deal with them yet is because I have big dogs that have free run of the property and have taken down raccoons and opossums regularly.

I'm sorry about your chookie. If it was grabbed through the gate, it was most likely a raccoon.

Getting back on after a long while off of BYC. Seems like the thread has really picked up since the last time I was here!
Spring hatching season is well under way. I had narrowed my flock down this fall to just 4 breeds I wanted to focus on, but the hubby has all of the sudden become very interested in chickens (after 4 years) and decided on 3 breeds he wants to raise in addition to my 4. Of course, how could I deny him the pleasure??!!
Picked up 5 Isbar chicks from Rinda a few weeks ago. 4 blues and 1 splash. Looks like 1 of the blues will be a roo which is good because that means I will have a back up for my other roo.
Got some hatching eggs from Okie Chicks and Eggs. Had absolutely no intentions of getting any chicks from her while I was there, but could not resist a few Easter Eggers while I was there. They are oh so pretty!
I have ventured off into coturnix quail and am having a ball with those. You can't be nearly as interactive with those as you can chickens, but they are a hoot to watch and listen to.
Waiting on my license to come in the mail from the Wildlife Department. I am hoping to add chukar this year and maybe pheasant next year. Will be raising all birds for our freezer camp for now. Working to become a little more self-sufficient every year
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom